We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegan/Vegetarian Friendly Restaurants?

michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Vegan/Vegetarian Friendly Restaurants?

Hi there! We are headed to Marathon for a family vacation on April 9th and can't wait!! We are a vegan family and I was wondering if anyone here could offer some suggestions on where we could eat in the area? Our hotel has a kitchenette so we'll be using that quite a bit but while we are out and about we'll need to stop somewhere. Also if you have any recommendations for places in any other of the Key areas please let me know. We're hoping to visit Key West and Islamorada and since we are landing in Miami...we'll want to grab a bite when we get off the plane. Thanks for your help! :)

michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Vegan/Vegetarian Friendly Restaurants?

Cool..thanks! :D

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Vegan/Vegetarian Friendly Restaurants?

Here's some information about the Florida Keys in general plus the one place in Big Pine Key (not Key West) that is mentioned in another reply.

WEBPAGE for Description of Florida Keys islands:

http://FloridaKeys.com

Maps of the Florida Keys

Come discover the Florida Keys and learn your way around the area using our interactive maps.

Interactive Map of Key Largo

Interactive Map of Islamorada

Interactive Map of Marathon

Interactive Map of the Lower Keys

Interactive Map of Key West

Here are some MM's (mile markers on US 1):

Key Colony Beach is at (MM53.5), via HWY 1 to Sadowski Causeway

Hawk's Cay Dolphin Encounters (MM61),

The Dolphin Research Center (MM59),

Marathon's Sombrero Beach (MM50) with fishing pier, etc.

Bahia Honda Park (MM37), great snorkeling plus much much more

Good Food Conspiracy Natural Food Market and Juice Bar (MM30.2) on west side of US1

Key West (MM0),bars, shopping, museums, train ride around town pointing out historical sights, lots of daily cruise ship dockings

Good Food Conspiracy:

Locals that eat here LOVE it! We were brought here by a friend for the first time in January. But prepare yourself- it is old, disorganized, and Fridays are FREE Aids testing. The service is SLOW, I mean really SLOW. But they make sandwiches to order, the soups don’t contain chicken broth (important as a Vegan). Outside eating the best option, but don’t expect atmosphere! I have attached their website as well as 3 “mixed” reviews that I found on the web!

http://www.localharvest.org/food-coops/M13424

Good Food Conspiracy Natural Food Market and Juice Bar

(Big Pine Key, Florida)

We are a locally owned Health Food Store with a Market and Juice Bar. We provide inside and garden seating. We have serviced the community for 24 years with organic and local produce. We provide a full spectrum food market and offer organic food and coffee. We also prepair fresh food daily. Soup and sandwiches, organic fresh juices and organic smoothies. We carry vitimins and bulk herbs books and gifts. We buy and sell local produce from small farms in Big Pine Key and grow herbs in our backyard. We also have a holistic health center.

(This listing was last updated on Apr 4, 2006)

US Highway 1 Mile Marker 30.2 oceanside

Big Pine Key, FL 33043

Contact Information

Marney Brown

www.bigpinegoodfood.com

305-872-3945

Mailing Address:

p.o box 632

Big Pine Key, FL 33043 Good Food Conspriacy US Highway I Mile Marker 30.2 Oceanside Big Pine Key Florida 33043 305 872 3945

Coming Events

No Events on File

Hours of Operation / Other Details:

Monday thru Saturday 9 am -7 pm

Sundays 11 am - 5 pm

http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=1814

"Great Little Find!"

Posted by GUEST on: Thursday, February 22, 2007

Review: Great place to stop on way down or up from Key West. Very warm atmosphere. Felt like I was sitting in a friends' kitchen, everyone so nice, like family, not much space to eat inside, one table and some counter space, but lots of outside seating. Food was great, good vegan selections and smoothies are great. Store has lots of vegan stuff too. Have to look on road to find it. Look for the station wagon with the big shrimp sitting on top in the parking lot! Definitely worth stopping in, if only to show support for such a great little ma/pa place!

Pros: lots of vegan stuff * warm atmosphere * home made soups

Cons: not fancy * no gourmet food here *

TripAdvisor Traveler Reviews

tripadvisor.com/…TOPC

Reviews of Good Food Conspiracy

(1of 2 )

“A Gem of The Keys”

Kayakingnut

Maryland

Jan 11, 2008

In the context of the Florida Keys, there is no comparable health food store in the entire island chain. (Sugar Apple in Key West is well worth a visit if you are staying further south.) Good Food Packs in an outstanding inventory of herbs, vitamins, groceries, and health and wellness products in their little shop.. Organic vegetable juices, wheatgrass, smoothies, fresh soups, and great sandwiches are all outstanding. After living and guiding in the Keys off and on for the past decade, I've found no other establishment that can compare to depth of knowledge about nutrition. And in all my travels, I have found few such establishments where everyone working behind the counter takes a genuine interest in who you are. (No small accomplishment in a tourist market.) Good Food is GOOD FOOD!

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34085-d5325…

Good Food Conspiracy

Brynn

Ft. Myers, FL

Feb 10, 2005

3/3 found this review helpful

(2 of 2 )

“wait til they pass their next health inspection”Food is OK, but employees don't seem to have received any training in standard food prep/sanitation guidelines. During my first and last visit about a year ago the woman who made my sandwich ate a few bites of her lunch while she was making mine. A friend of mine who ate there in Feb 05 said the woman making his sandwich handled the dirty dishes from another customer in the middle of preparing his food. Yuck.

This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

13. Re: Vegan/Vegetarian Friendly Restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, September 22, 2009