We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling from shore???

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
55 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling from shore???

Our family caught the snorkeling bug during our last vacation. Now we are eyeing the Florida Keys for one week of snorkeling around the end of April and Marathon seems like a good home base. Looking for a place to stay where there is good snorkeling on site or near by. Is there such a place around Marathon or do you have to take a boat out to the reef if you want to snorkel? Thanks!!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,851 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling from shore???

Yep -- not much snorkeling off the beach. The best option is to hire a captain to take you out to the reef.

(Captaining the boat yourself is not recommended -- the waters here are difficult at best)

cedar rapids
Level Contributor
62 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling from shore???

Hi: I believe we saw several kids with their snorkeling stuff on

the last time at Marathon. I also believe I am read several places

that there are several beaches in the keys where you can

snorkel at the beach.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling from shore???

The John Pennekamp State Park official website says they have a particular beach "Cannon Beach" which offers snorkelling opportunities.

floridastateparks.org/pennekamp/Activities.c…

I must say that when we trried snorkelling off the main beach at JP or the Bahia Honda beach - the water was too cloudy and saw nothing

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,634 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling from shore???

Pennekamp is an hours drive from Marathon, and is well known as a great snorkel place.

You CAN snorkel form shore in Marathon. However there is not much to see. To see the good stuff, you'll need to get in a boat and go out to the reef.

5. Re: Snorkeling from shore???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, September 11, 2009