We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice between Capt. Pip's & Sombrero Reef Inn???

webster, ny
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Choice between Capt. Pip's & Sombrero Reef Inn???

We are a couple in our 50s...looking to rent room and boat for a week or fishing/snorkeling maybe in Marathon Key in March.

We can rent a one bedroom unit at either place for about the same money.

We get a boat for the week at Capt. Pip's and would have to rent one ourselves if we stay at Sombrero Reef Inn but it works out to the same cost for the week either way.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this choice? I can't seem to find any good reviews of Capt. Pips. Anyone stayed there?

Any advantages to one or the other?

Thanks for any advice/info.

Mikell

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,634 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice between Capt. Pip's & Sombrero Reef Inn???

My personal experience with Captain Pips was NOT good.

I did not stay there, but I rented a boat from Captain Pips and it was a POS. I have been in, on, and around boats here in MN for 48 years.

I have been in, on, and around boats in Florida for the last 15 years.

I will NEVER - EVER rent another boat from them again.

I don't know anything about Sombrero Reef Inn.

Marathon, Fl
Destination Expert
for Marathon
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice between Capt. Pip's & Sombrero Reef Inn???

Sombrero Reef Inn is very nice, you would be very comfortable there. It is very close to the beach! The people that own it are great.

That said, buffetguy, do tell. Did the boat break down or what? The people that own Capt Pips have been down here a while and are nice folks. I would be surprised to hear they did not try to make amends.

NC Coast
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice between Capt. Pip's & Sombrero Reef Inn???

A couple of us old farts stayed in Marathon last March and rented a condo on the water with a boat from one of the local Real Estate people. We walked out of the Apt and got in the boat and away we went. Some minor stuff with the boat (always) but the guy was there that night to work on it.

We checked out Capt Pip's before we left and we are thinking about staying there this year. I did not see anything that looked too out of place, but the units are small. But you can walk to a resturant.

If I find the realtor's name, I wil post it for you.

Good luck,

Capt Ed

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice between Capt. Pip's & Sombrero Reef Inn???

I'd go with the Sombrero Reef Inn- good location and nice property. the Inn is right down the street from the beach too.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice between Capt. Pip's & Sombrero Reef Inn???

We are also a mid 50's couple and we stayed at the Sombrero Reef Inn in April,08. It was perfect-clean, quiet, 1 hour to Key West & 1 hour to Key Largo (or so). The owners were good communicators and there is a lovely public park and beach down the street.

We would definitely stay there again.

6. Re: Choice between Capt. Pip's & Sombrero Reef Inn???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, September 20, 2009