We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawks Cay or Cheeca? or nether?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Hawks Cay or Cheeca? or nether?

We are planning a multi-family trip (three families with kids) to the keys and wanted to know peoples opinions of these two resorts for kids 7-13. Also, if there is somewhere better (with a resort atmosphere), please let me know.

Thanks

PJCPA

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,348 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hawks Cay or Cheeca? or nether?

Cheeca!!!!!!!

England
7 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Hawks Cay or Cheeca? or nether?

hi bluewater..........yes Cheeca....loved the palce that much decided to have my nick name as that.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Hawks Cay or Cheeca? or nether?

Does Cheeca have a beach? How are the rooms? We were thinking about this resort for our next spring break and would be taking our children ages 8 and 11. Any thoughts?

England
7 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Hawks Cay or Cheeca? or nether?

yes cheeca does have a beach which gently shelves into the sea, not deep drops, especailly safe for young children, the sea is very shallow for a long way out. The rooms are excellent, big and spacious. They have 1 and 2 bedroom suites which have a fully fitted kitchen if you wish to cater. They have rooms which are on the beach front with the sea view, but these are more expensive. they also have room based in the main lodge itself on 2 floors, and the rest of the rooms are scattered arounf the spacious grounds of Cheeca. Of course you can push the boat out and stay in the Presidential suite, this is where President Bush stays when he visits Cheeca for his fishing tornements. I have stayed at Cheeca many times and think its the best place to stay. I love the place that much hence my nickname (cheeca).

They have a cheeca camp which caters for children of all ages, with lots of activites to keep them amused, and they are very well looked after. I can personally recommend this resort, so why not give it a try and see for yourself.

dwg
Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Hawks Cay or Cheeca? or nether?

Does anyone know if the $39 per day activities fee at Cheeca is per room or per person?

Nashville, TN
7 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Hawks Cay or Cheeca? or nether?

Hawks Cay has lots to do for kids, and is more casual than Cheeca. Cheeca is continually renovating and is much more upscale than Hawks Cay. Hotel rooms at Hawks Cay are due for some updates, but still nice.

We stayed at Hawks Cay first week in May; our first trip to Keys. We were suppossed to stay at Cheeca last Labor Day (cancelled by hurricanes) and were able to tour while we were in town. Very posh; more for adults only, I think, than for families with kids.

We liked the location of Duck Key; close to Key West and all the good restaurants in Marathon and Islamorada.