We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Cardiff, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Florida keys ideas

Hi there, I'm on holiday in Florida keys staying in Islamorada, with my husband and 3 year old. I'm looking for some ideas during our stay. We love nature, sunsets, good food, snorkelling, boat trips. I have looked on line and definitely want to visit Bahia national park, and the dolphin research centre. Where else would you recommend ?. As in for safe pretty snorkelling, boat trips (which are not too long for our little one !!). Nice places to eat. is Key West worth a visit ?. I know I'm asking a lot of questions but any help greatfully received.

Thanks in advance

Nicky

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,338 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida keys ideas

Robbie's to feed the Tarpon. Our reefs are fairly close in, so no worries about a long boat ride.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida keys ideas

Pennekamp Park in Largo for snorkeling. Best reef in the Keys.

Cardiff, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida keys ideas

That's great thanks very much xxx

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida keys ideas

Your 3 year old might enjoy Theater of the Sea in Islamorada. Old Florida type place with dolphins, sea lions, parrots and sting rays.

http://www.theaterofthesea.com/

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,550 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida keys ideas

Definately make the trip down to Key West if you can. It is well worth a visit. We spend at least 10 days down there each May and love it. There is masses to do. You could do the tram tour round the island or visit the aquarium (your 3 year old might like that) or just stroll the streets and soak up the atmosphere.

Have you thought about driving down to Big Pine Key (think it's that Key!) to the Blue Hole to see the alligator (if you are lucky) and the lovely Key Deer that just stroll about the roads?

There there are the Everglades. Drive back up to Florida City at the start of Highway 1, turn left you will come to the Ernest Coe Visitor Centre about 20 mins later. You can go in there for lots of info, then drive into the Everglades for about 5 more minutes to the Anhinga Trail. There you are guaranteed to see masses of alligators, turtles, birds etc. It is a super place to visit.

Depending on what you like to eat, Snappers and the Fish House in Key Largo both do delicious, value for money meals. Snappers in on the ocean and you can feed the tarpon. The Islamorada Fish Company is nice too, again with loads of tarpon to watch.

Bahia Honda State Park and John Pennecamp are both well worth visiting.

So envious of you being in the Keys as we haven't been able to visit this year!

6. Re: Florida keys ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, June 20, 2013