We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer in the Keys Islamorada - Futura Yacht Club

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1st timer in the Keys Islamorada - Futura Yacht Club

I'm looking for anyone who may have some insight or knowledge on the Futura Yacht Club. My mother (69), aunt (77) and myself (44) are seriously considering renting a condo unit in FYC, which we have never done before. We have never been to the Keys, and are quite excited to plan our 10 day trip in mid April 2012. Should there be any questions I should be asking besides the obvious cancelletion deadline or fee and view of the ocean?

We would also like to make a trip to the Everglades and I am wondering if there are any that depart from the Keys or close to the Keys that anyone can suggest?

Is there anything else you would suggest that we can see or do? I know there is alot of chartered fishing to be done in the area, but we are not interested in doing any fishing. We are all quite fit and healthy people.

I know this is quite a bit of info I am asking, but I do appreciate any or all advise or answers anyone may have re: Keys.

Thank you!

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timer in the Keys Islamorada - Futura Yacht Club

It sounds like a plan! I assume you have a car rental - otherwise you are going to find it hard to get around.

There is an entrance to the Everglades between Miami and the Keys. You can easily do a day trip. If you go to the national park website, look for Flamingo. Definitely see the Anhinga Trail.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,364 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timer in the Keys Islamorada - Futura Yacht Club

Islamorada is considered the heart of the keys. You will be centrally located to make daytrips to other areas. I have not stayed at Futura but it looks like a decent place. Since it's a condo I would ask if it has been updated or refurbished" recently. Most places in the keys are older but many have been renovated over the years. Some have not. I would also ask if everything is furnished including towels and linens. Most places do include them but occasionally I have discovered places that do not.

Make sure you stop at the Publix or Winn Dixie in Key Largo on your way to your condo. Islamorada only has a small grocery store which is fine for a few things They do have a good meat department and their deli is not bad either. Its the other items that get on the expensive side or they don't carry them. There is also a K-Mart in Key Largo.

You will find some cute shops all thru the keys. (Check out Island Spice in Islamorada and Keykers in Marathon near Publix). There's more but thats my 2 favs. Check the Florida Keys forum for loads of info on things to see & do. Even if you don't fish you may want to go to Whale Harbor one evening to watch the charter boats unload their catch. You can hand feed tarpon at Robbies or just watch others do so. The huge fish come right up to the dock! Take a day trip and plan on going to Marathon, cross the 7 mile bridge and maybe stop at Bahia Honda park. Nice place to take pictures. Pigeon Key in the center of the bridge is an interesting historical place to visit. You take the boat from Knights Key just before the bridge to get there. Plan to spend a couple hours for the tour.

We always pack a small cooler on our day trips as we never know where we might want to stop and there might not be a store or restaurant there.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timer in the Keys Islamorada - Futura Yacht Club

Thank you keymom and BWW for your input.

KM - I will check out for the Anhinga trail in the Everglades.

BWW - very good info in general which I will keep and refer to. I will make sure to stop in Key Largo to do groceries before heading down to Islamorada.

Island Spice and Keykers will be on my list of shops to check out - and to the dock at Robbies. I'm sure my mom and aunt will want to check out Bahia Honda park and Pigeon key as well.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timer in the Keys Islamorada - Futura Yacht Club

Oh and yes, we will be renting a car - we want to try and see as much as we can of the beautiful Keys.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,364 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timer in the Keys Islamorada - Futura Yacht Club

With 10 days you will get to see & do a lot. Make sure you take a couple days to just relax and veg out around the pool. Otherwise you will need a vacation from your vacation! The first couple times we went to the keys we were exhausted when we got home as we tried to see & do it all.

6. Re: 1st timer in the Keys Islamorada - Futura Yacht Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, October 19, 2012