We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly in to Miami or Ft Lauderdale?

Missouri
Level Contributor
43 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Fly in to Miami or Ft Lauderdale?

Traveling to Cheeca Lodge this fall and can't really tell which is the better airport for my plans. I just want to land, find some transportation to Cheeca and be as hassle free as possible! (don't we all?!)

I guess we will rent a car but don't really need one at Cheeca. One price I got on a car service from FLL to Islamorada was $275 one way.

Any comments or opinions on airport choices plus getting from the airport to Cheeca would be greatly appreciated.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,351 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly in to Miami or Ft Lauderdale?

Will someone in your group have a car at Cheeca? You might want one for Islamorada. Off hand I think the closest car rental is in Tavernier, Marathon after that. How will you get to Cheeca? That rate is high (unless it's Columbus Day weekend) You might be able to find cheaper.

As far as the airport goes - whichever fits your time and price. It's only about 30 minutes difference to go to FLL vs MIA. I prefer MIA, but others like FLL so I say - unless you have a preference go with time and price.

Keys Shuttle is another option from the airport to Cheeca. google for more info.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly in to Miami or Ft Lauderdale?

I stongly urge you to have a car in the Keys. If you are meeting someone with a car, look into a one way rental.

Missouri
Level Contributor
43 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly in to Miami or Ft Lauderdale?

We will only be at Cheeca for a long weekend to attend an event. Both evenings are on property, so I don't think I need a car...I plan to lounge by the pool both days I am there so that is why I am thinking of finding a car service for pick up and return trips to airport.

Surprisingly, both airports are comparable in price...so I can go either way. Bluewater, why do you prefer Miami?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,351 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly in to Miami or Ft Lauderdale?

It's closer and I don't get lost leaving there. 20 mins is huge when I want to get home!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,351 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly in to Miami or Ft Lauderdale?

Is it that much of a difference to keep the car the whole time?

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly in to Miami or Ft Lauderdale?

Bluewater is a beautiful, wonderfully nice, wise person. Yet she always give such bad advice about this topic ;-)

FLL is about 20 minutes further - taking traffic out of the equation. HOWEVER, I find that the traffic in and around the MIA airport to be far far FAR worse than the traffic in and around the FLL airport.

TIME wise, factoring in the traffic, I feel that they are very close to the same.

I also find that getting back to the FLL airport easier than getting to the MIA airport.

Bottom line for us..... Find the time and price that fits your schedule and don't look back. Looking at the big picture, it's not worth spending a lot of brain power and emotion and time, worrying about the minimal amount of time difference.

7. Re: Fly in to Miami or Ft Lauderdale?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 06, 2012