We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing for 2

phoenix
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
fishing for 2

Has anyone had any experience getting paired up with other people for a fihing charter? There are just 2 of us and we want to do a 1/2 day off shore charter. Is there an easy way to find people to go in with or do you just have to contact the different boats for this? thanks!

Key Largo Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing for 2

Some of the charter boats will have a message board stating they need another couple for a certain day. Take a walk down the docks at Holiday Isle and Whale Harbor. Spliting a charter is pretty easy to do.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,158 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing for 2

Pick a Capt you like and tell him/her you want to do a split. Sometimes they'll even call around and ask or like mentioned prior, write it up. It's good for them to know in case someone else is curious and is asking around. My Fave Islamorada Capt is Mel Walker - on the Gotcha out of Holiday Isle.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing for 2

Another choice is to do a backcountry charter - which is just two people on the boat. We did this out of Dove Creek Lodge, don't recall the boat.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing for 2

Bud N Marys is the largest marina in Islamorada. With many captains and the marina helping organize you should have an excellent chance of being paired.

Whale Harbor is also a good choice with a lot of off shore boats.

Book early and stay in touch to monitor your progress.

Back country and off shore are quite different experiences. Depending on season, back country is tarpon, bone fish, permit, snapper and trout. Again, depending on when, off shore is bill fish, dolphin, wahoo, maybe jack, mutton snapper, yellow tail, or grouper.

Have fun!

phoenix
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fishing for 2

Thanks for all your help! We found a boat and he is fairly confident he can find 2 or 4 other people to share with. Has anyone had any luck bringing or shipping back fish? I don't think we'll be able to eat everythign we catch in our short time there

Key Largo Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fishing for 2

If your flying and have the fish frozen and packed in a cooler bag with newspaper for insulation it should last for 10-12 hours. I used to pack a 48 quart cooler with 12 packs of frozen fish and ice and drive 25 hours with most everything still frozen when I reach my destination. It helps to pack the fish in zip-locks and add water to make a frozen block.

7. Re: fishing for 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 25, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada