We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see in Islamorada

Which Islamorada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington,NC
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Must see in Islamorada

My husband, MIL & FIL are taking a vacation the first week in October to Islamorada. We are staying at Coral Bay with our boat and would like suggestions on some things to see or restaurants to visit while there. My husband and FIL are avid fishermen/boaters and are looking forward to all the fishing. My MIL & I are looking forward to just the laid back enviornment but do not want to miss anything as this is our first trip to the keys. Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,521 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see in Islamorada

We like Coral Bay. It's in a quiet area of Islamorada. Lazy Days, Morada Bay and Bentley's are good places to eat. The Lor e lei and Islamarda Fish co great to watch the sunset and have a couple drinks. Whale Harbor is good for drinks and watching the charter boats come in. You will be near Robbies which is a must do at least once to hand feed the tarpon. You can get to most of the restaurants by boat except Bentleys, Uncles and a couple others. You can make day trips to Key Largo, Marathon and even Key West. Just get an early start for Key West. Visit John Pennykamp, Bahia Honda, Deer Key, Pigeon Key, etc. If you visit the Florida Keys forum you will find many great itineraries already on there as well as boating tips for the keys.

Wilmington,NC
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see in Islamorada

Thanks that is so helpful. We have been looking over all the great information on here but were just so overwhelmed by the amount of stuff. Just trying to narrow it down some & get a better idea of how to loosely schedule. We don't want to put too much on our plate as then we would miss the point of being in the keys! We are busy parents & grandparents with hectic full days at home but looking forward to slowing down for a few days.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,521 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see in Islamorada

The first trip tends to go to fast and you spend a lot of time trying to fit everything in. Especially if you ar ebringing a boat. You will want to get some charts of the waters for the area, get familiar with the marked channels. That are lots of coral heads than can damage your boat if you hit them. Plus shallow areas too which is you run aground then you are digging up sea beds and corals. The tides run very quickly around the bridges at times. You will want to talk to some locals on where to fish, what is biting, etc. There is a marina just south of Coral Bay and they are pretty friendly and you can get gas, ice, bait, etc there. There is also a tackle shop along the highway with live bait and Islamorada Fish co has live bait and may give some info.

Indian Key is worth a visit and there are anchor buoys near there where you can go snorkeling and see some reef patches. There is an old wreck near there too but I don't think there is much left of it nowadays.

If you contact the Chamber of Commerce for Islamorada they will send you an info package for the keys with great info.

Maryland
Level Contributor
173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see in Islamorada

Here's a hint that will make you look like a hero in the eyes of your husband and FIL. Stop in Wide World ( I'm sure they'll stop there ) and pick up one of the tide charts at the entrance. They are also available at the fly fishing store next to the Green Turtle.

Iowa
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see in Islamorada

And if you want the cheapest sunset view? Stay a bit later at World Wide and go upstairs to Zane Grey Lounge. Quiet and nice. Food is ok but the view is great. Bring your camera!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,541 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see in Islamorada

We like Zane Grey too. Be sure to check out Morada Bay as well.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,521 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must see in Islamorada

If you are fishing while here you will also need a temporary Florida fishing license which you can get online or at any bait shop, K-Mart, Outdoor World, etc. Also the rules seem to change daily on catch so get a copy of those too.

Augusta, Georgia
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Must see in Islamorada

I love the Rain Barrel for artisan and keyzee crafts,decor etc. it's the best "shopping" for Keys stuff around - you'll see it on the right north of Coral Bay. There are great Mangroves just to the right as you stand on the "beach" at Coral Bay - They'd be great to explore in a Kayak-check with the Kayak Shack at Robbies Marina, they will bring them to you. We can spend hours just taking a cocktail out and walking around the edges of the waterfront at the "resort" (our little joke is that any place in the keys with a pool is a "resort") looking at all the sea creatures in the edges of the water. You've chosen a great place to go!

Iowa
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must see in Islamorada

Wanna be like a local? Go to Ocean View. Have a brew or two and Friday and Saturday nights usually have bands. But go early they usually end around 10 p. Rent a bike and get off onto the old highway. I recommend BackCountry in Islamorada. See local art! Great art community. Peel a bit of the tourist stuff away and it is a laid back community. Don't worry about relaxing...the Keys will do that to you!

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must see in Islamorada

If the guys are successful, there are many restaurants in town that will cook your catch for you. Green Turtle and Lazy Days come to mind but I suspect most will.

Pick up the sticky buns at Islamorada Bakery (i.e., Bob Bunz) for breakfast one day. If you do this early in the trip, you'll discover you need to do it again and again.

Good suggestions on Rain Barrel, Robbies, and others above. I would take the drive to Big Pine Key for the views, maybe some Key deer, a stop at Bahia Honda or Pigeon Key.

Get answers to your questions about Islamorada