We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachs???

georgia
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Beachs???

Are there any resorts with a really nice big beach area and an ocean that is clear that you can go into?

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beachs???

Holiday Isle has a beach area. I've gone diving out of there, but I didn't pay any attention to the water clarity at the resort. Out on the ocean, there was 100' visability.

I know that there is a sandbar right off the channel out to the ocean, and that boats pack in there to swim, party, whatever.

I'm sure there are other resorts in the area as well.

As an aside, nice big beaches and the florida keys are seldom mentioned in the same sentence. When you compare keys beaches to say the beaches in Hawaii - no comparison. Hawaii wins by a 6000 miles (not coincidently the distance between the two locations).

There are some beaches down in Marathon 35 minutes away from Holiday Isle that are nice.

Atlanta
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beachs???

Sandestin Golf & Beach Resort located in the Beaches of South Walton in the Florida Panhandle has sugar white sand beaches and crystal clear emerald green water. The water is so inviting and pretty calm on most days. We recently visited (post-Hurricane Ivan) and were pleasantly surprised at the quick recovery this area experienced. The board walks have already been repaired and all the resorts and restaurants were open for business.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beachs???

Sombrero Beach in Marathon is beautiful! No resorts on it, but there is a small place nearby, Sombrero Reef Inn (www.sombreroreefinn.com)

Bahia Honda is also beautiful. Holiday Isle is crowded, but, if you like that then guess that would be for you.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beachs???

Yes, the Cheeca Resort & Spa has a great beach w/beautiful grounds. But, it's pricey.

http://cheeca.rockresorts.com/

probably stuck in...
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beachs???

Bahia honda part to the south is very nice. Holiday Isle is great when it is not overrun with spring breakers. There is also a nice hidden county park in Largo on the gulf side--Harry Hamlen, Harry Harker, Harry something or other. Tucked back in a residential neighborhood, it has a great little lagoon, and is usually very quiet.

SC
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beachs???

Harry Harris Park is nice when its not full of sea lice! Go to Bahia Honda Park or there are little side patches of beach near Caloosa Cove where we used to go and swim. But you have to swim out a freakin mile to get to the water knee high!

Get answers to your questions about Islamorada