We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to eat

Which Islamorada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
where to eat

We have a week on Islamorada at the beginning of July.Recommendations for restaurants would be appreciated. Our 4 year old son is travelling with us so places that are easy or child friendly in nice setting would be ideal.

Lake Worth Fl
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: where to eat

The Lorelei is great. Good food and inside/outside dining with a beautiful atmosphere. We are going at the end of July and have taken our kids there. We have a 3 and 5 year old. Bentleys is outstanding for seafood although not as kid friendly. The Whale Harbor is a decent buffet and is child friendly.Also the Islamorada Restaurant and Bakery is the best breakfast around and not at all expensive.

Coleenf@bellsouth.net

Vermont
Level Contributor
536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to eat

The only place we ate in Islamorada (just passing through) was the Outback Steakhouse...doesn't have the keys atmosphere but a good steak and of course a kids menu. Have a GREAT trip!!!

Ash

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to eat

The Lor-e-Lie is a good spot.

Islamorada Fish Company is also a good spot. They have fish swimming around the eating area. That might keep your son occupied. There is also the Salt Water Sporsman next door that will have enough going on to stimulate any 4 y/o.

Holiday Isle has all kinds of things to see and do. The charter boats, the fish reproductions swim pool, may keep him busy. (I don't think that it's a place for him after dark, or even late in the afternoon.) They serve hotdogs and other kid favorite foods as well as normal adult foods.

Whale Harbor has a kid menu. Although when I ate there, I didn't think the food was as good as Lor-e-lie or IFC.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to eat

Little Italy in Layton is good, inexpensive Italian -- the best I've had in the Keys so far, actually.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
363 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to eat

We went to Lor-e-lei because it was recommended. We were horribly dissapointed! They did not have outdoor seating available on a Friday night and the food was too seasoned, it overpowered fresh seafood! Martini and Margarita so horrible we did not order another. It was cheap but Would not go back!

Would go back to:

MORADA BAY: beautiful setting & excellent food! Kids playing hide-and-go-seek with glow sticks when we went. Crusted Grouper to die for! Best relaxing sunset view. Very romantic! My favorite!

LAZY DAYS: relaxing porch seating & food so good we went back the next day! Apparently a local's favorite. Have nothing but good things to say about this place! Mile marker 79.9 http://keysdining.com/lazydays/

ISLAMORADA FISH COMPANY: Got there at 7pm on Saturday night (7/30) and waited for over an hour which was OK because we sat at the bar and got some really good drinks. Food was excellent, sunset view was nice. It was so busy that it took away from any kind of "romantic" atmosphere. They fed the large tarpon fish in the water on the bridge next to us which was fun for the kids but created a large crowd of people around our table. Go here on a week day!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
651 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to eat

We spent a week there in June. We had a great meal at Hog Heaven- it had outdoor seating with a pier and small beach area that would keep your 4 year old occupied. Loreli's was good, but if you do not get seated outdoors it may not be as nice. I thought the Whale Harbour buffet was pretty good- there is variety of food and it is casual and kid friendly. We got great Cuban carryout meals at the Sunshine Market that were CHEAP and wonderful. Then we stopped next door at the Copper Kettle and picked up the best Key Lime pie to take home for dessert. Have fun!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to eat

We just returned from a week in Islamorada. Our favorites are 1) Lazy Days (next to Bud and Mary's) which is outstanding. We dined outside facing the ocean for lunch and dinner. The food was excellent, the service good, and the prices fair by Islamorada standards. Views are outstanding. 2) Lorelei: Yes, it's arrogantly shabby, but the sunset views and music are worth it. The standard menu is good, and if you hit a special that you like you are in business. If not, just enjoy the sunset and move on to dinner elsewhere. 3) Squid Row: quiet place with great food and service. If you are fishing and keep your catch this is the place to go. In all our years in Islamorada this place has been the most reliable. Long menu always served well.

Skip the Islamorada Fish Company. They are trading on the reputation they earned years ago. The food is OK, at best, but the service is worse. For example we ordered, and then left our table to watch the tarpon. When we returned our table had been cleared and our order cancelled. I guess they assumed we ordered a drink and then stiffed them. What do you think about a restaurant that operates on such an assumption?

We also had an unfortunate experience at Bentley's. Arrived at 8. The disengenuous hostess told us we had a 25 minute wait. First course served in several shifts from 10 to 10:15. Seems they had a private party upstairs. The management and kitchen could not handle the business. The wait staff was professional, but as frustrated as we were. During our interminable wait I went outside in time to witness one of the "private party" participants barfing on the steps at the entrance to the restaurant. The food was marginal, but the prices weren't. This place used to be a good value. Now it is over priced, undercooked, and overly crowded. Avoid it at all costs on weekends.

For breakfast Mangrove Mike's is hard to beat, but come hungry.