We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islamorado Visit in Oct/Nov

Which Islamorada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte
2 posts
Save Topic
Islamorado Visit in Oct/Nov

My family is planning to visit Islamorada to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. We are looking for someplace quiet and relaxing (as my Mom tires easily thanks to cancer medication). I think we've found a nice house rental across from the Coloosa Cove Marina (bayside) and I've been told Ann's Beach is very close. We were hoping to go mid-October, but my sister has suggested either the last weekend in October or Thanksgiving instead. I would appreciate comments about timing: not sure if coinciding with Fantasy Fest wk-end is OK - we would want to get into KW one day anyway and will there be lots of traffic? If we go during Thanksgiving, my sister who lives in Jupiter seems to think it will be warm ... but I want to make sure my Mom can enjoy sitting out on the beach and lots of rainy weather wouldn't be fun with 2 teens, plus a 4 year old and a baby! I know there are no guarantees :)

Sorry for long message and thanks for your comments.

Karen

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Islamorado Visit in Oct/Nov

What a nice trip this should be! It's too hard to predict the weather but Thanksgiving is usually nice. It won't be that different from mid-Octoboer.

It looks like you 'll be at mile marker 74 or so. You'll be close to both Islamorada and Marathon. Check out the Dolphin Research Center - the teens may enjoy a swim with the dolphins. MM 59.

Robbies will be a good place to check out - snorkelling, kayaking and feeding the dolphins. MM 77 so close by.

The closest big store is a Winn Dixie at mm91. Be sure to get a Winn Dixie card. They are free and you save on many things you buy. There is a book store/internet cafe/coffee place here. Plus a theater, Italian Restaurant and movie theater.

I would not take teens or kids to Key West during fantasy fest.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Islamorado Visit in Oct/Nov

Keymom hit a homerun with her reply.

The only thing I could add is trying the Turtle Hospital in Marathon. It was a big hit with the buffettneice.

At the World Wide Sportsman, they feed the fish in the aquarium everyday at 1:00. Thats interesting, short, but interesting.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,686 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Islamorado Visit in Oct/Nov

The rest of the keys aren't too affected by FF. We see a little increase, but not that much to make a difference. And go down and check it out for a day. It's a gotta do thing.

Thanksgiving is good too, you may have a "cool' day for Keys standards, but she can still sit on the beach in a bathing suit and be comfy. And it could still be hot. Jan/Feb is often our "cold" weather and it's still in the 70's. Rarely do we get an all day rain, it happens, but it's rare.

The bayside near Caloosa Cove is nice. Some places over there have a private beach, see if your neighborhood does. Yes, Ann's beach is nearby. Also, Long Key State Park. Curry Hammock and a little further is Sombrero Beach in Marathon. Marathon has two grocery stores. And in Islamorada there is a small one that is good for last min things. The Trading Post and it's open 24hrs. Good selection, but it isn't cheap.

As far as timing, I don't think it makes that big of difference unless you want to see FF. Thanksgiving is a bit busy too, just that weekend. Whatever works out for your family.

4. Re: Islamorado Visit in Oct/Nov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, September 07, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada