We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around the Rock!

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around the Rock!

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

My wife and I are making our first trip to Key West January 26-29. I got roundtrip tix through Airtran from IND to MIA for $128. We are going with another couple and renting a car and staying at the Hyatt Windward Pointe.

I was curious as to the best way for us to get around the island. I will have the car while there and we will likely spend happy hour and sunset around Old Town, possibly come back to the resort to let the girls pretty up and then head back to Duvall for a late night.

Will it be difficult parking our rental around Duvall on a weekend the end of January? We will likely take taxi's for the late night but thought we might drive earlier in the day. Does that sound doable?

Is there reliable public transportation from the Hyatt to old towne and how late does it usually run?

I have already recieved very valuable info from lurking on here and I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Bill

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around the Rock!

i really like the drive from miami to kw and have done it alot,but you really won't need or want it once you arrive.find a good spot to park and cab it or rent bikes or walk. cabs are inexpensive,plentiful and always available, and i mean always. bikes and walking really help you feel part of kw though. have a blast!

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,301 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around the Rock!

I believe Windward Point is past the airport. You aren't going to be able to walk from there, and since you have a car, I'd drive into Old Town, unless they have a shuttle. A cab for four people is going to be expensive...I think it's 7.50 per person each way or more. Someone is going to have to help me on the cab fare, but I think the cheapest way to Duval is to drive. There are several small parking lots. One is down Whitehead and then turn right at Caroline Street...it's just on the left. Another is on the left side of Simonton Street, just before you get to Greene Street. There are several others. They are all day parking for a flat rate, and cheaper than the parking garages. The meters, if you can find one open, are 25 cents for ten minutes. There is a bus system, but the schedule is iffy, and I don't know how late they run. Enjoy your vacation!!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
643 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around the Rock!

If you go a few blocks off Duval, you may find an open spot with no meter. But be VERY careful. Look to see if it has "resident" painted in the parking place. Those are for Key West residents with a tag...some say if you have a Monroe county plate you can get away with parking there, but since you'll have a rental, you won't.

There's also a lot down Simonton, cross Greene and turn right into the lot. They usually get $10 for all day, but it's "no in & out."

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around the Rock!

Thanks for all your input. I imagine we will try to drive in to old towne the first day and see how it goes. Play it by ear. who cares really...I'll be relaxin in key west!

Bill

5. Re: Getting around the Rock!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Key West