We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing in Key West/Key Largo?

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Fishing in Key West/Key Largo?

We are travelling in March 2016 and my partner is fishing mad and would love to go fishing during our stay. All fishing trips seem to be crazy prices, can you just go fishing on piers/beaches or is this illegal? Also do you need any permits to fish? Any fishing info for Key West/Key Largo would be greatly appreciated. Any Recommendations?

Thanks

Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
137 Reviews
from $145.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
398 Reviews
from $49.99*
$75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
146 Reviews
from $63.00*
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing in Key West/Key Largo?

Are you staying in KW and KL?

Yes, fishing with a charter is expensive as its an expensive thing to do (fuel, boat, motors, high quality gear, bait, time, knowledge of your captain and mate, insurance, licenses, GPS etc etc) However, it is well worth it if you want to fish. All that being said -

Yes, you can bridge fish off of select bridges through out the Keys. ( I don't know of any bridge fishing offhand in KL or KW - mostly the middle Keys) Must have a fishing license to fish anywhere in FL. However, If you go on a private charter, it is covered for you. (you can get these online at anytime, basically just a number) I'm sure you know from your research that we don't really have beaches here in the Keys, what we do have are basically shallow and small. Not ideal for fishing #1) shallow, 2) its frowned upon to fish where people are swimming - be prepared for resistance and name calling.

There are some Head/party boats through out the Keys as well - not sure of KL name, Islamorada has a couple "Miss Islamorada", "Bud n Marys" and "Robbies". In Marathon - "Marathon Lady' and I'm sure someone will chime in with the name of the ones in Key West.

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing in Key West/Key Largo?

Charters are expensive. As Bluewater says, they have a lot of overhead and they will also expect a 20% tip on top of the charter price so you will spend hundreds for even a half day.

There is a party fishing boat that goes from the marina del mar, next to the Holiday inn in Key Largo. It's inexpensive, I think about $40 for a half day. I'm sure you'd find more detail about them if you google the name.

There are lots of other party fishing boats along the Keys. I don't recall seeing one in Key West, but I imagine there is.

To avoid any confusion, a party fishing boat just means you're sharing the boat with other people. I friend of mine went on the Sailors Choice and thought there'd be beer and music ! He was kinda disappointed, but still had a good time.

You can fish from the piers at some of the hotels down here. I'm pretty sure the Islander Resort in Islamorada lets you fish, and I've seen people fishing from the Hampton Inn in Key Largo also. It might not be the best fishing in the world, but it would be worth thinking about if you haven't yet booked accommodation. Your might be able to occupy themselves right at the hotel.

If you will be driving down the Keys you can drop a line in from pretty much any of the old railway bridges along the way. The first one I can think of is at about MM72ish, just past Anne's Beach. The only one of the old bridges they don't let you fish from is 7 mile.

You can buy a fishing license from K-Mart in Key Largo if you don't get one online. Just go to the fishing desk at the back of th store. Licenses are more expensive for non residents, but not terribly expensive.

$17 for 3 day, $30 for 7 days and $47 for an annual license.

Edited: 5:51 pm, October 27, 2015
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,303 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing in Key West/Key Largo?

For Key West you can go out either on a mornings or afternoon trip on the tortuga IV ---> http://www.tortugacharters.com

And many of the hotels and the bars at the Bight will cook your catch for a small fee.

Pjk

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing in Key West/Key Largo?

You can fish on the Old 7. Just on the West end.

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing in Key West/Key Largo?

You're right, I forgot about the other end of the bridge. I was just thinking about the part that goes out to Pigeon Key.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing in Key West/Key Largo?

You CAN fish from the base of the old 7 mile bridge on the Marathon side. You can't fresh FROM the bridge, but if you park in the lot, you can fish from the shore.

I've seen plenty of fish caught, and many sharks caught there.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing in Key West/Key Largo?

You can fish and catch fish hormones almost anywhere in the keys. Pull off the road anywhere and throw your line in and most likely you will catch something. I have pulled in all kinds of fish, from grouper to Jacks to Snapper and sharks. Have fun and remember you must buy a fishing license before you go fishing.

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
40 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing in Key West/Key Largo?

Here's a list of party boat fishing

http://fishfloridakeys.com/partyboats.htm

These are nothing like private charters but if the prices scared you then this is the way to go lol

New Gloucester...
Level Contributor
47 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing in Key West/Key Largo?

I dunno if or what they were catching, but I saw lots of folks fishing from the White Street Pier in Key West while there in September....and, near there, saw a fellow flyfishing while standing waist-deep in the water at the Reach catch and release a tarpon; totally awesome sight!

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing in Key West/Key Largo?

If you're in Key West and looking for an inexpensive/fun day of fishing, try the Tortuga IV.

Buster