We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt vs Westin

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Topic
Hyatt vs Westin

I've been doing my research and have narrowed down my hotels to the Hyatt or the Westin. Not sure which to choose. I'm looking for a more luxury feel and I've been reading mixed reviews. I like the idea of Westin's shuttle to their sister resort on Sunset Key. The cruise ships seem to be a problem for this resort though. The Hyatt may be undergoing some renovation during my stay (12/11-14) but not sure how much that would inconvenience their guests. Basically, any insight between these 2 would be great.

Thanks in advance!

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt vs Westin

My vote would be for the Hyatt even with the construction going on.

Another poster said that they had reservations at the Westin/Hilton since March and are now being told that they are overbooked for their stay. From their post it does not seem that Westin is compensating them hardly at all. This to me is extremely poor service and would do anything not to ever stay at that place.

SC
Level Contributor
329 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt vs Westin

Never stayed at the Westin but have stayed at the Hyatt and it was wonderful. It was sheer luxury. The beds are wonderful! Nothing bad to say about the Hyatt.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,547 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt vs Westin

The Hyatt has that very small beach with maybe 6 chairs on it, a place to swim in the ocean and a float. Nicolos's is a good, up-scale resterarrt and there is the Floridays right at your fingertips. But the pool is, at its deepest, 3.5 feet, so you really can't swim in it. You can sit around it and wade in it but swimming is out. (If you go down early in the morning you can see that the seagulls have discovered this protected wetlands, though.)

Pjk

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt vs Westin

I just had to make that same decision. I chose the Westin for Thanksgiving. The reason I decided on the westin is because I recently stayed at one near my home in chicago and loved the room and I am a starwood member (sign up) and you get free stuff like upgrades if available and free soft drinks and water and fresh fruit and later check out if available. So i went with the westin, hoping its like the one i just stayed in -- (in a suburb of chicago). I am keeping my fingers crossed and will write a post when i return.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt vs Westin

In reference to Sunset Key... Normally, beyond my acceptable price range, My wife and I were invited to dinner there last January. (Sunset Key used to be named Tank Island cause that's where the Navy built their big fuel tanks for their ships)

Anyway, here's my review... First, we were held at the dock for 1/2 hour cause there was a wedding party on Sunset Key. Finally, we got the ride out on the shuttle boat. Nice ride but it was 8:30 pm and dark. We arrived and were seated. The staff was either tired or distracted. The service was not top-notch. One meber of our party ordered a glass of water. (After being asked what brand... Fuji.) They brought out a quart bottle and poured it like it was a wine. They did not leave the bottle but what can you expect for a $9.00 glass of water? I order a fish dish that was served in a bamaboo steamer that was pretty neat however, the food was ...Well, it seemed like the chef had beat it to death. It wasn't over cooked or anything... It was simply over-done... Like the chef didn't know when to stop working on it. In any case,the bill was outrageous and no one at the table thought it was all that good. (The view would have made up for some of it except it was dark and the plastic rain sheets were down reflecting the interior light back at us.)

Turns out there is no kitchen on the island. All the food is shipped over from Key West on the shuttle boats after being cooked earlier.

All in all, considering the less than expected service, the quality of the meal, the semi-snotty attitude of the staff...I'd rate Sunset Key the following:

Service: D

Food: C

Staff: D

Value: E

Average experience: D

Avoid it even if it was half the price! Nice boat ride but a $35 sunset cruise would have been far, far better!

Newark, DE
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyatt vs Westin

Question about the restaurant on Sunset Key----Do you have to pay a fee for the boat ride if you have reservations at the restaurant?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,547 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyatt vs Westin

I doubt that I would go out for dinner because of the cost but a friend and I did brunch there once. It's a nice short ride out in the launch and very nice to sit outside on their veranda and have a meal, facing away from Key West so you really get a feeling of being on an island. The launch was $5.00 / person then and we got the tickets at the, then, Hilton. The launch leaves every 1/2 hour.

It was the most expensive brunch or breakfast we've ever had in Key West, even NYC IIRC, but it's one of those things to do once to see for yourself. I think it came to $45.00 / person which included several Bloody Marys.

Pjk

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hyatt vs Westin

I know now the cost of the shuttle from the Westin to Sunset Key is $20 even for guests of the hotel. I'm now thinking that the Hyatt might be a better route. I'm trying to find something luxurious/tropical. I am afraid of the cruise ships blocking my view when I'm at the pool or on my balcony. I've heard the Hyatt has less trouble with that. Such decisions!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,547 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hyatt vs Westin

Split the difference and look at the Pier House.

Pjk

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hyatt vs Westin

Just had the same decision to make - week after Thanksgiving. We selected the Hyatt. Friends of ours stay there on a time share trade and love it - location is great for both so it was a toss up. Hope we made the right decision.