We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help please first timer

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
help please first timer

First Timer

Looking to stay in the Florida Keys and a nice resort CLOSE to restaurants and shopping if possible, with a great beach. This is a suprise 50th birthday for my sister and don't know anything about the keys. We will be there for 4-5 days in November and hoping to get some good feeback.

Thank You

Donna

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help please first timer

um pier house and i am sure PJK will tell you everything you need to know.

Disclaimer: There are not really beaches in key west, there is sand next to the ocean but since the island has man made beachs and always has. If you want a true beach location with shopping, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami might be better alternatives.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,432 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help please first timer

Key West is a trade-off...you trade the really great beaches, anything like Aruba or Jamaica, for the convience of being in a small town which is surrounded by water and where all of the good things can be walked to.

The Pier House is at 1 Duval Street which puts it within about 2 minutes of the Mallory Docks for the sunsets and 2 minutes from the Key West Bight which has seven or eight or nine great places to sit and have a drink and a seafood appitizer or dinner and watch the boats and the people. And 2 minutes from the snorkeling trips and the boats that go out for the sunset sail. And at most 5 minutes from great places to have dinner. It has a small beach which is nice so that you can actually sit on the sand, but the Ocean Key, just across the street is just as nice with no beach but a big pool.

It's hard to find a place to stay that is too far out of the way, whether it's a hotel or a B&B, but the problem at this point is that Nov is next month and places in Key West book up fast. I'll be there then but I booked several months ago.

It's a start

Pjk

3. Re: help please first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, August 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Key West