We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College Students

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
College Students

I am planning a two week vacation to Key West in December with a number of my close friends. I have never been to Key West before and I don't know what to expect. I was wondering if they're any good bars that are easy to get into, have attractive girls, cheap drinks and good music. We're pretty much planning our vacay centered around alcohol so any bar recommendations for college students would be great.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Bien
$, Latin, Fusion, Caribbean
La Grignote
$$ - $$$, French, Cafe
Keys Coffee Co.
$, American, Cafe, Healthy
Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,670 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College Students

You can pick 2 of the 3 on your list. Attractive Girls, cheap drinks or good music. Not all 3.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,959 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College Students

I sooooo agree.

conn
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: College Students

After the alcohol all the girls will look good.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,959 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: College Students

Once again, I soooooo agree. Well, at least the boys start looking good in my world.

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: College Students

I'll take the Attractive Girls and cheap drinks. Oh, and I'll bring my iPod along - problem solved ;-)

Sounds like a good night out.

Reading...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: College Students

I've read the context of your post and I noticed you asked bars that are easy to get into??

If you are under 21, no bars will be easy to get into.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,505 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: College Students

What johnm said. Underage drinking is not tolerated in any bars here and you will be carded everywhere.

While we do get all ages, Key West is not really a big party town for college age people. We get a bit of an older crowd. More 30s to 50s seems to be the typical crowd. 2 weeks seems like a very long time here unless you are interested in other things we have to offer like fishing, diving, kayaking or museums. Also, hotels and B&Bs do not put up with crazy partying in deference to their other guests.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just want you to know what to expect.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: College Students

I may be wrong but, based on my experience, Key West is not much of a destination for the college crowd except maybe during spring break. It is way too expensive for most college kids and December is the beginning of high season with the steepest prices of the year.

The girls may be attractive...but most of them will be twice (or three times) your age. Provided you are all over 21 there is plenty of drinking to do (though outside of happy hour I wouldn't call it cheap) and there's plenty I good music. If you're looking for a place to party with other people your age though you might be disappointed. If I was you I would look elsewhere. Just my opinion. Doesn't mean you wouldn't have a good time there but I think there are better, less expensive places where college students tend to go.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
New Jersey
Level Contributor
468 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: College Students

Good point RhodyRick.... maybe the college students can get some cougar action

The usual suspects (bars) for the young crowd.

- Dante's pool bar during the day.

- Rick's

Bars that you'll love regardless of age

- Sloppy Joe's

- Hog's Breath

- Willie T's

Of course you must try the Garden of Eden (weekends)

Anyone know whats up with the Coaster simulator place? I didnt realize till after we were there and looked at Youtube videos that it seemed to become a rave club after hours? Crazy stuff

May be worth a post on its own.

So the reality is, college students...

My wife and i were in Key West Mid-december last year.

It was VERY quiet. Very, very quiet. Weekends saw some action, but walking back from the bars during the week at 12am... we were the only ones on Duvall street. Was almost eery "damn someone could mug us right now and there would be no one here to help us"

Holiday time into New Years is jamming apparenly. New Years eve is huge.

Mentioned in this post
Dante's
Dante's
747 Reviews
Key West, FL
Willie T's
Willie T's
1,491 Reviews
Key West, FL
Garden of Eden
Garden of Eden
318 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: College Students

You aren't going to be getting into bars if you are under 21. This doesn't seem to be the right fit if you are just looking for a drinking vacation. December is expensive, and rather quiet, except towards the end of the month. Do you have other interests? As others have said, it will be a bit older crowd in December.

Edited: 11:21 am, July 09, 2014