We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin or Casa Marina (Waldorf Astoria)

Brooklyn, New York
7 posts
Save Topic
Westin or Casa Marina (Waldorf Astoria)

I am planning a trip to Key West this August (I know), and want some input on where to stay. I'd like to be walking distance or short cab fare from bars and food. Also want a place on the beach with an ocean view. Right now I'm between the Westin and Casa Marina (I get corporate discounts). Any thoughts on which is better? I'm going for a trip with my partner and want something snazzy :)

Thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
468 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin or Casa Marina (Waldorf Astoria)

Fantasy Fest 2012 we stayed at both of these in the same week.

Our first ime.. so earlier in the week we stayed at Casa Marina to warm up to FF.

the big weekend, stayed 2 nights at Westin,

We really liked casa, but if we had to pick one for a week...we'd do the Westin.

Not that its better or worse, just that the location is so awesome for what we want to do.

Lets face it, if we wanted the resort life with beach and ocean, there are 100s of better options.

We are there for the Duval St area primarily and the location of Westin was awesome over casa.

Now.. our second trip I guess resort did matter a little more as we went more adventurous at the C/O Olivia by Duval. Ha!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
468 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin or Casa Marina (Waldorf Astoria)

Nightlight/bars.... Casa has an outdoor pool bar. end, And one restaurant?

Westin has pool bar, upper deck large bar area looking over the water, and a third on the back boardwalk where the cruise ships dock.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,917 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin or Casa Marina (Waldorf Astoria)

The Weston does not have a beach and a portion of their waterfront is a cruise ship dock. The Casa Marina is kind of far from most restaurants, bars and attractions. It is a bike ride or taxi drive away.

You might want to consider The Reach, which is also a Hilton Family hotel with a nice beach and good location. The Pier House also has a small beach and is right in the heart of the action.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin or Casa Marina (Waldorf Astoria)

Westin is within walking distance of many bars and restaurants and Casa has the beach so which of those is a priority?

I don't mind being away from Lower Duval so personally I would go with the Casa Marina, nice to spend the morning/afternoon chilling out at the pool or beach during the day and then hopping a cab for happy hour.

In addition to its own restaurant and the pool bar Casa is next door to Salute! which quickly became our hangout when we stayed there last year.

As a HHonors member I am perfectly content at the Doubletree which has a very nice pool and a free shuttle.

Edited: 3:34 pm, June 05, 2014
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,166 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin or Casa Marina (Waldorf Astoria)

Given your parameters your choice should be the Casa Marina or the Pier House.

Pjk

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin or Casa Marina (Waldorf Astoria)

Maybe you can get a corporate discount at the Pier House that was suggested as an option, but if not, the Casa Marina is much more snazzy than the Westin, especially when it comes to the grounds and common areas. If you can get a room in the old section with an ocean view balcony, you will love it!

I like the Reach too (corporate discount will apply) but it isn't quite as elegant as the Casa Marina.

The location of the Westin is spectacular, but the experience of the property doesn't quite do it for me.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,917 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin or Casa Marina (Waldorf Astoria)

Pjk, just curious what you think is wrong with The Reach?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
468 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin or Casa Marina (Waldorf Astoria)

KeyWestSteps says-

"The location of the Westin is spectacular, but the experience of the property doesn't quite do it for me "

Which is absolutely true. Casa Marina NEEDS to up the ante, as there isnt much around it immediately.

The Westins "property" is all of Duval, or at least that lower district that its in. (although I do think the casual drinking set up was still much better at the Westin.

There's a reason resorts in Jamaica have amazing pools with swim up bars and glass slides going through the building... cause there's nothing outside of the property!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,762 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin or Casa Marina (Waldorf Astoria)

If you are the kind of traveler who likes to hang out by the pool, on property, most of the trip, then I'd recommend the Casa Marina.

I personally have found that I gravitate to the Bight area, so wouldn't want to have to make all those trips back and forth. Maybe if I was staying for a short weekend I'd try it, as I really like the hotel and the grounds.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin or Casa Marina (Waldorf Astoria)

The Westin is right in the middle of the action and you can get an oceanfront room, but there is no beach. I agree that the location is fabulous, we frequently stay next door at Hyatt Sunset Harbor where we own a timeshare week. If being in close proximity to many bars and restaurants is your top priority, the Westin is a good choice. They also have an awesome Sunday Brunch that we can't wait to go back to again next month, but obviously you don't have to stay at Westin to eat there.

The Casa Marina is a destination in itself. I will be the first to admit I used to feel it was too far from all the places we like to frequent, until we stayed there for a weekend last year. The resort is beautiful but when you walk out through the back doors and see the the outdoor space, it's like you are in a whole different world. If staying at a gorgeous resort with hammocks on the beach is your top priority, Casa Marina is the place for you, especially if you don't mind renting bikes or using taxis to get around. It is a long walk to lower Duval (if that's where you plan to go for nightlife), but it's doable if you don't mind walking. We often stop in at Casa Marina and go to Sun Sun, the beach bar, even when we aren't staying there.

My husband told me I could book any hotel in Key West for our Labor Day weekend visit. We'll be staying in an oceanview balcony room at Casa Marina. While in Key West, we don't typically spend a lot of time at the resort or B&B, but that visit will be very different, I plan to take advantage of everything the resort has to offer for much of the day.

As SDT mentioned, the Reach (in the same hotel family as Casa) might be a good compromise. The beach there is very nice and the resort is a little closer to Duval. It's in the the Southernmost area so there are a few more restaurants close to that location. When I booked Casa, I also looked at the Reach and prices were nearly identical, so I went with Casa Marina.

Pier House is in a great location and has a small beach, but if you don't get a corporate discount there, it doesn't meet all your parameters. It might be worth a look but I don't know if I'd call it snazzy.

Get answers to your questions about Key West