We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from FLL to Key & Car Rental Info

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from FLL to Key & Car Rental Info

Hi Everyone! I will be driving down to Key West from Ft. Lauderdale on Tuesday, June 17. I will be renting a car to make the drive down. Do you recommend making a reservation in advance or is it fine to wait and just rent a car at the airport? I will be returning to Ft. Lauderdale on Friday, June 20th. Would it be better to just keep the rental car for the few days or should I do a one-way rental? If so, how does the one-way rental work? I am staying at Southernmost on the Beach. Just wondering if any rental car companies provide transportation to and from the hotel in Key West. Any advice or tips would bee greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Also,my flight on Friday, June 20th is at 8:20pm. Any thoughts on what time I should leave Key West. I was planning on 2:00pm.

Rayville, Louisiana
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from FLL to Key & Car Rental Info

Take card sound road and stop at Alabama Jacks for a drink to calm down from the drive from Miami, then head to Key Largo from there. Caribbean Club in Key Largo is a good stop, then on to the Safari Club aka "Dead Animal Bar" in Islamorada is a good stop too, then on to Sugarloaf key and a stop at the Sugarloaf lodge tiki bar is also a good place to stop. These are a few "dive bars" we stop at on the way down. Half the fun is finding your own places because there are so many to discover. Don't speed and have fun. The No Name Bar on No Name Key is also a place to check out.

Edited: 9:51 pm, April 12, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Sugarloaf
Sugarloaf
Florida Keys, FL
Rayville, Louisiana
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from FLL to Key & Car Rental Info

Sorry meant to post to another post"driving from MIA " post.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from FLL to Key & Car Rental Info

Good thing because most of what you mentioned will be closed at that time.

As well as you can drive as you do at home. Please!!!!!!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from FLL to Key & Car Rental Info

Good thing because most of what you mentioned will be closed at that time.

As well as you can drive as you do at home. Please!!!!!!

Edited: 10:19 pm, April 12, 2014
De
Level Contributor
322 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from FLL to Key & Car Rental Info

If you are a member of Costco's or Bj's check their travel sites as we have lucked out with great car rental deals from them.

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
624 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from FLL to Key & Car Rental Info

I would make the reservation now to guarantee you get the car you want. I would do two one-way rentals because once in KW, you won't need the car plus you have to pay for parking. Not aware of any rental offering a shuttle so you would take a taxi.

Leaving Friday afternoon at 2:00 might be cutting it close depending on what the traffic is like on a Friday afternoon once back on the mainland.

phila
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from FLL to Key & Car Rental Info

Having done both one-way and round trip rentals. I prefer to go the priceline route for car rental, prepay the gas and don't forget the sunpass. Once I get to key west I park the rental car at the city garage at Caroline and grinnell. I have gotten cars on Priceline as low as 9.00 a day . If you do one way rental most likely you will have to drop the car and pick it up at the airport and get a taxi both ways

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,426 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from FLL to Key & Car Rental Info

Why would the OP have to park at a parking garage? Southernmost on the Beach has parking. I think the parking is still free there, but with the new owners adding new fees daily it is hard to keep track.

phila
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from FLL to Key & Car Rental Info

I missed the OP staying at southern most on the beach. I stay on the gulf side and found it easier just to park at the garage than trying to park in the residential areas. Besides I don't like taking a locals spot for a few days at a time .

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from FLL to Key & Car Rental Info

Ive also been using Priceline for my car rentals lately. Check Floridas 511 for traffic info before you head out, but 2pm sounds good.

Get answers to your questions about Key West