We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New To KW - Essential Itinerary?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
New To KW - Essential Itinerary?

Hi - I am suprising my BF for his birthday, we are both 34. We will be in KW April 16th-19th. We are satying at the Southernmost Beach Hotel. Because I am spending so much on the place, I would like to try to saty budget friendly on the trip BUT I want to enjoy it as much as possible too. Here are the things that I am thinking - anything I should add? Also, anyone have vendor recommendations?

- sunset cruise

- snorkeling trip - maybe on with multiple stops and lunch?

- trip to tortugas - maybe this could be part of the above snorkleing?

- Birthday dinner for my love - we love seafood - any top recommendations?

- Hemmingway museum

Thanks for the help everyone!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New To KW - Essential Itinerary?

You can save some money on a sunset cruise since Fury's Commotion on the Ocean is FREE on your birthday...

Pottsville...
Level Contributor
726 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New To KW - Essential Itinerary?

I understand budgets and all but your going on vacation so why not spend just a couple more dollars and enjoy yourselves.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,631 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New To KW - Essential Itinerary?

1) Don't worry about pinching pennies. It just makes you crazy while you're "trying" to enjoy the trip.

2) Figure out your budget, and fit things into that budget.

3) Don't look back. No regrets, no worries.

Rockaway Beach, NY
Level Contributor
359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New To KW - Essential Itinerary?

The trip to the Tortugas is great and its a great chance to visit Fort Jefferson and its surroundings and get your snorkeling in rather than making (and paying for) 2 separate trips. The ferry, which as far as I know is the most affordable option, leaves about 8am and gets back into KW about 5:30 or so. Its maybe 2 to 2 1/2 hours there and back so you have about 4 hours to explore, snorkle etc.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,783 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New To KW - Essential Itinerary?

Look at Sebago's Island T'ing trip. It does a snorkel stop, a kayak Eco tour around a mangrove island, and serves breakfast and lunch. The only thing I bring is a cup of coffee. They take you out on a small sailing catamaran, the Pelican, and the trip is limited to twenty passengers. One of the best trips out of Key West.

Pjk

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New To KW - Essential Itinerary?

If you are only there three days, I wouldn't make the trip to the dry tortugas. There is so much to see in Key West. Just go with the flow while you are there. You'll be surprised how fast you ease into a rhythm there.

Enjoy!

columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New To KW - Essential Itinerary?

I think the Dry Tortugas is worth doing even on a short trip. One great seafood dinner is the caramelized grouper at the Hot Tin Roof, which is a good location to watch the sunset as you dine, so would make a good location for that special celebratory dinner. It is pricey, but you could splurge on the birthday. Eating dinner at one of the many happy hour locations offered could save dollars for the rest of your trip. Good ones among my favorites are at Santiago's Bodega, Southernmost Beach Cafe, Alonzo's Oyster Bar, and Half Shell Raw Bar. Michael's Light Side menu is also a good money-saver.

The Custom House Museum is a good, FREE place to visit.

Have fun!

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New To KW - Essential Itinerary?

Make sure you do Happy Hour. Food and drinks are less expensive and then you will not have to have big expensive dinners.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,116 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New To KW - Essential Itinerary?

Check the Cruise ship Schedule and take that into consideration when planning your trip:

cruiseportinsider.com/….UyGcXIWa-XA

A trip to the Dry Tortugas would be a good idea on 17Apr(two ships in Port) provided its within your budget of course.

Reading...
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New To KW - Essential Itinerary?

Honestly on such a short trip I would skip the Dry Tortugas, especially if this is your first trip, it's an all day affair and depending on your budget , costly..

I would look into a sunset dinner cruise (pretty awesome)

Checkout Latitudes for that special dinner, Hot Tin Roof, Roof Top Cafe, A&B Lobster House, Pisces, Seven Fish, and Santiago's ( my all time fave).Check out Garbo's grill (killer fish tacos)

Happy Hours

Southernmost Beach Cafe, Alonzo's, Boathouse, Half Sheel, Turtle Kraals, Kelly's.

ENJOY!!

Edited: 8:03 am, March 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Key West