We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheeseburger - What's taking it's place?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cheeseburger - What's taking it's place?

When we were down in January we saw that Cheeseburger on Duval St was demolished and everything was being redone. Definitely not sorry to see that place go, but do any of the locals know what is taking its place?

ohio
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cheeseburger - What's taking it's place?

Perhaps there is a silver lining. Johnny Rockets may attract a large crowd, therefore reducing the crowds at the establishments I hope to frequent.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cheeseburger - What's taking it's place?

BurgerFi doesnt have bad burgers, but there are so many places to get a great burger in non-chains in KW (I love Jack Flats burger) that I would have loved to see a specialty restaurant unique to KW. Oh Well....

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Cheeseburger - What's taking it's place?

BurgerFi is in the space right beside the one in question which is still under construction as of yesterday.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cheeseburger - What's taking it's place?

That makes the situation even worse with the thought of two chain restaurants, right next to each other that serve basically the same type of food.

Edited: 11:44 am, January 30, 2014
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cheeseburger - What's taking it's place?

Unfortunately with huge rents and real estate values on Lower Duval I think chains will be the only ones to have the money to make a go of it. Either that or someone with tons of backing. Not many people are willing to tackle a $40 or $50k monthly triple net lease for a large space, or drop $4-5M on a building. I will say BurgerFi actually has decent burgers, but nowhere as good as Off The Hook, Blackfin, or BOs in my opinion.

Edited: 1:37 pm, January 30, 2014
New Jersey
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Cheeseburger - What's taking it's place?

Isn't Johnny Rockets more like a Denny's or a diner... then a pure hamburger joint?

in my 2 visits to Key West I never stopped at Cheeseburger so I dont know the level of it being missed, but I have to say I did enjoy my visits to Denny's which was close to our place. Dont get me wrong we ate our share of awesome, can only get in Key West meals... but not EVERY meal has to be Risoto Crab With Shrimp etc... Sometimes its good to just enjoy a simple omelet or roast turkey dinner for $8.99.

So I wouldnt be against a JR moving in

Washington
Level Contributor
519 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cheeseburger - What's taking it's place?

Johnny Rocket's concept is that of a diner, but it is not a diner. It is a greasy hamburger joint. There are several in DC (where I work) and they are never crowded. The burgers are like any fast food chain (McDonalds, Burger King) at a higher price. They have chili cheese fries and rubber chicken as well. The waiters break out in song and dance throughout their service (50's music).

That being said, I'm sure it may be popular. I had friends that were going to Key West and asked for recommendations for breakfast. When they came back I asked about some of the places I sent them to. They said, oh, we went to Denny's. At least we know what's on the menu. Go figure.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cheeseburger - What's taking it's place?

Johnny Rockets is nothing like a Denny's but I won't be visiting either in Key West. We like to go to places we don't have in Orlando while we're on vacation.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Cheeseburger - What's taking it's place?

Precisely cruisemom! Whenever I pass that Denny's on Duval, I always have an urge to stick my head in there and ask everybody what in the h*ll are you people doing eating at Denny's while in Key West? lol.. I refuse to eat at any chain restaurants just as I refuse to stay at any chain hotels while there. To each their own I guess.

Edited: 8:05 am, January 31, 2014
canton,ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Cheeseburger - What's taking it's place?

Gonna miss Cheeseburgers volcano nachos. They were so good with an ice cold beer.

Get answers to your questions about Key West