We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break 2005 in key west!!!

Jacksonville
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spring Break 2005 in key west!!!

Hey yall, me and 6 other guys (all heterosexual) are going to key west march 11th thru the 19th for spring break. We are staying in a condo, and I was wondering what can we expect for college spring break? Ive heard that there are alot of gays in key west and I was wondering if it is anydifferent during college spring break. THanks for the help, and also were are some good places to party for anyone in there early 20's. Also if there are any girls who want to get to gether down there to party let me know at... jmv2@comcast.net

Iowa
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break 2005 in key west!!!

Key West's slogan is "One Human Family." Which means tolerance for everyone. Gay or straight, black, white, young or old. If being around gay people bothers you, then I don't think Key West is the place for you to be.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
d
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break 2005 in key west!!!

Open minded if you don;t have one then you"ll have more fun somewhere else!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break 2005 in key west!!!

crashnburn - I don't think they let single girls into Key West - like they say:

"Key West - where men are men and so are the women".

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
109 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break 2005 in key west!!!

Crash.. just go... it's all fun. The locals will tell you where to party. You will have a blast. Are you flying into KW or driving down from Miami?

Mentioned in this post
Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break 2005 in key west!!!

Just pullin' your chain Crash. If everyone is over 21, you will be able to go anywhere. If there are some under 21, they will be able to get into many of the spots during the day, but they won't be able to drink. At night they card and do not let under 21 y/o in.

I'm sure that you'll find the places that scratch your party itch on your own, but here are some suggestions:

On Duval,

Irish Kevin's - whatever you do - if you must talk on your cell phone in the bar DON'T give it to the entertainer. Have a buddy do that . . .

Stop in the Bull and Whistle. It can be fun, go to the top of the bar and have a drink. The views can be unbelivable.

Obviously, Sloppy Joe's, Captain Tony's, and Hogs Breath are spots to look into. The Schooner Wharf near the KW bight is also always a gas.

Once you get your bearings, you will find where and what you want to do. Have a blast, don't worry about the boogieman getting you. Just don't go looking to cause trouble, and you won't find any.

Mentioned in this post
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
767 Reviews
Key West, FL
Schooner Wharf Bar
Schooner Wharf Bar
2,256 Reviews
Key West, FL
Jacksonville
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break 2005 in key west!!!

Gay peoples dont bother us at all, because we all know that if we dont mess with them they dont mess with us. But we are all driving down in a rental van. Once we get there we wont have any transportation untill we go to leave, so we will prob. be renting scooters or takin taxi's. We are leaving from jacksonvile, FL so it will be a long drive but deffently worth it. All the guys that are going are 21 and over so the advise with the bars is a good thing. Thanks again for the advise, and with 2 weeks to go we are all getting pretty excited. Ill let yall know how the trip went.

Jacksonville
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Break 2005 in key west!!!

Also what is the thing about giving your cell phone to the entertainer at that irish place? If it is funny then ill have to get one of my friends to fall for it. Thanks again

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring Break 2005 in key west!!!

If you are on the phone in, the bar, the entertainer will stop playing, and ask for the phone, and if he gets it, he goes into a long, funny (if it's not your phone) monologue. Have a buddy do it. Like I said it's funny if it's not you.

As far as the scooters go. Rent them for a day and toodle around the island. Go to the Cemetary. You can walk around it as long as you are respectful. There are some neat crypts. Everyone is "buried" above ground because of the water table.

Go all the way around the island on the scooters, and explore. It gets exciting where US 1 enters the island, but that is OK as long as you pay attention. If you decide to you don't want to do that, you can turn back and miss the bust parts.

Depending upon where you are staying, you can easily get anywhere by cab. Most places are reachable by walking.

At the risk of sounding like your father - DON'T get a driving award (DUI), it'll really take the fun out of Key West.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Jacksonville
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring Break 2005 in key west!!!

Cool, thanks for the advice again, it sounds like its gona be a blast there! Well the count down has offically started 2 weeks away!! Ill let yall know how it went.

Ft. Myers, Fl
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring Break 2005 in key west!!!

To reiterate some things already said, there will be gays there since they live there year round. If seeing gays bothers you, then don't go. If you become offended if gay men talk to you then don't go. But gay men aren't trying to proselatize, they're just looking to hook up just like you are with girls so say no thanks and move on. But there will be plenty of partying to be had on Duval - especially down in the lower numbers (100-300 blocks) with Hog's Breath, Sloppy Joe's, Irish Kevin's, Fat Tuesdays, Bull, Whistle, and, if you're adventurous, the Garden of Eden - a rooftop clothing-optional club. Don't miss going to the Green Parrot on Whitehead St for cheap beer and great blues. So in short - you'll have a blast at Key West. Just go with an open mind and no expectations. Because there's nothing that happens in Key West that you could expect anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
767 Reviews
Key West, FL
Sloppy Joe's
Sloppy Joe's
6,316 Reviews
Key West, FL
Irish Kevin's Bar
Irish Kevin's Bar
1,630 Reviews