We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended Stay Facilities in Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Extended Stay Facilities in Key West

Does anyone have any ideas of safe, clean and economical places to stay in Key West? I am looking for something to rent by the week or month, whichever is cheaper. Ideally a room in a motel/hotel/YMCA/Hostel or a small efficiency. I would need everything included plus wifi. I will be coming in on the Greyhound Bus. Maybe something near to the station. I have been researching the area to see where the bus services. Thank you everyone :)

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,771 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Extended Stay Facilities in Key West

There is the JGT that brings people from Homestead to work. Many of them work at Publix and Winn Dixie, housekeeping and similar to that all through the Keys. It's jam packed full. Many on that bus don't speak English.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Extended Stay Facilities in Key West

I agree blue water, it does happen but less often all the way to key west. I do know people who work at public and win Dixie here as well as housekeeping at the B&Bs, not sure about the large resorts, who live in kw. Just pointing out its not as rampant as some believe. It reminds me of the time my daughter was home from college working summers and the people she served often refused to believe she grew up here, arguing with her that all the workers come from Miami, lol.

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Extended Stay Facilities in Key West

Thanks for the feedback and lol - I would not be commuting as I do not own a car. I will be taking the Greyhound Bus there some time next month. I did check into the Seashell Motel and Key West Hostel, but they have not gotten back with me about maybe working something out on a weekly or monthly basis. Their nightly rates are way too high for what they are offering. I also read the reviews on them. Bottom line, I need internet, safety and a good rate. Now I am grateful for the city bus that has a stop at the airport which is next to the Greyhound Bus Station. Having a city bus always helps with giving you more options of places to stay.

Daytona...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Extended Stay Facilities in Key West

If the hostel is too expensive and the reviews don't sound good to you,unless there is a driving need to be in Key West,maybe it is not the place for you. It is expensive,even if someone has a job and lodging prepared before arrival.

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Extended Stay Facilities in Key West

Something will work out by the time I get there :)

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,150 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Extended Stay Facilities in Key West

Several of the crew members of the various boats - snorkel, day sail, kayak - don't have cars and cannot afford a house or condo of their own, so they chip in and rent and share a place. You might want to do a "Contact Us" from their web page and ask if there is a room available for you. Try Fury, Sunset Watersports, Sebago, and Danger Charters.

Pjk

Edited: 3:18 am, December 27, 2013
Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Extended Stay Facilities in Key West

Many hospitality workers cannot afford their own apartments, we are friends with quite a few. They do rent apartments together, so a house divided into 4 apartments with 3-4 people sharing an apartment would look similiar to a rooming house. I don't have a problem with workers coming from Miami, Where we live alot of our workers for the hotel in the summer stay in rooming houses or come quite a distance, it doesn't make them bad people just because of where they live, they are working for a living and I appreciate that they do the jobs that "others" won't.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Extended Stay Facilities in Key West

Dmilbury, I didn't say they weren't wanted just not the norm. Angela, I hope your trip goes well.

Manassas, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Extended Stay Facilities in Key West

Thanks EVERYONE for the responses and well wishes :)

20. Re: Extended Stay Facilities in Key West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 29, 2014