We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Airlines

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Topic
Southwest Airlines

From what I can gather, Southwest is the only airline that flies from New Orleans to Key West direct (am I correct?)

Would love some thoughts/ reviews on Southwest airlines - are they reliable?

Thank you!

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest Airlines

You are correct about the only direct flights. I don't fly southwest so I have no idea about the customer service, on time ratings etc.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest Airlines

Southwest is great, as far as I am concerned. Good on-time record, and any direct dealings I have had with them has been good customer service. Wish SWA was an airline serving where I now live.

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
617 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest Airlines

Never had any problems with Southwest. If you haven't flown them before, you are not assigned a seat. You check-in 24 hrs from your departure time to get assigned a spot in line. Once you board, it's open seating. Extra perks include no bag fees for up to 2 bags and no change fees if you have to reschedule, you just pay the difference in fare.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest Airlines

The "no bag fees (2 per pass) " is awesome. Don't think any other major us carrier does this. Saves significantly. Very efficient and on time airline.

Btw.. We are sitting at philadelphia airport right now... Boarding southwest flight to key west (via orlando) in 15 mins!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest Airlines

We recently took the SW flight from Dallas to Key West. It stops in New Orleans. So if you get on at New Orleans there will be some folks already on the plane.

Had no problems. As mentioned, generous baggage allowance. But you may see when you boardin New Olreans some folks trying to discourage anyone to sit in their row (3 seats across) by sitting in the windw seat and aisle, leaving the undesired middle seat empty. It wasn't rampant but saw a few couples doing it.

Hatteras Island...
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest Airlines

Flying on southwest for the first time Jan. 1, to Key West.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,140 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwest Airlines

Southwest is a major US Carrier so while it has some unique quirks like free bags, no change fees and no assigned seats it's performance record is similar to United, American, US Air.

Edited: 8:02 am, December 05, 2013
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Southwest Airlines

Southwest is awesome airline. I have been flying them for years. Flew them to KW this year for first time. Went through New Orleans with a 35 min layover and had no problems. They on time record is very good. Don't hesitate to use Southwest.

NH
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southwest Airlines

That is awesome that you can get a direct flight from NOLA now! I'd say do it, SW isn't my favorite airline but anytime you can fly direct that is great. Beats getting stuck in another airport, which happened to be enroute to KW one time from NOLA.

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Southwest Airlines

Just announced they will no longer fly to key west as of 6/7/2014...terrible news

Get answers to your questions about Key West