We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southernmost price increase

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Southernmost price increase

Curious to know from recent visitors or those in KY if the Southernmost did a major reno or changed management, I have gone over to the TA reviews of SMOB but nothing mentions anything about major changes. Reason for my question is we are planning our spring stay there again ( as we have for the last several years ) and went on line to book the room but didn’t when we saw the price. Its increased $200 to over $350 per room per night depending on preference from last year’s spring prices. This is the first time we have seen this with the SMOB, we expect to pay a premium for the peak season but now its getting to be a little rich. a pre tax rate of $600-860 a night is high for what they offer so I called the reservation number and the lady acknowledged the rate increase but she would not offer any relief for returning guests. Ocean Key and Pier House rates seem to be in line with last year’s pricing for April so I ask what am I missing here?

Thanks

Opie

Edited: 9:06 am, November 12, 2013
New Jersey
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Southernmost price increase

Purchased 3 months ago...

www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4061970.html

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southernmost price increase

Thanks OTBW

that would explain it.

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Southernmost price increase

Pierhouse increased prices also. The same room,same nights (6) for Fantasy Fest '14 increased a total of $692 as compared to 2013 price. What they will provide to justify such an increase is a question.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Southernmost price increase

We were new to FF last year... had a great time.. and wanted to go back this year.

I found when booking (started earlier this year), all of the prices went up.

then I read people's accounts of the week, saying it seemed much less crowded this year. But tough to go by a few comments.

So in the end, we are going early Dec instead. Which now I am happy it worked out that way. Well, its cheaper, and it will be nice to see more of the town when things arent so "amped" up. :-)

Washington
Level Contributor
519 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southernmost price increase

I saw the significant price increase as well and am staying at Pier House. They went up as well, but not SMOB.

Washington
Level Contributor
519 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southernmost price increase

Meant to say not as much as SMOB did. They really went up.

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
83 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southernmost price increase

The room I had in mid October is $ 300 dollars more in mid May 2014 and $150 more then I am paying in mid January of 2014.

I checked out Pier House and it seemed much more reasonable, might try it instead in May

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,000 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southernmost price increase

Before the price increase, "my" room at the Pier House, a second floor garden view, stayed the same for years and I always thought it was a bargain. The room is now pricier but still, considering location and amenities, I'm not looking to go elsewhere.

Pjk

boston, MA
Level Contributor
217 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southernmost price increase

The town is down 1500 hotel rooms due to construction/renovation delays. Once they come back on line, I suspect the prices will come down.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Southernmost price increase

The construction only has about 500 rooms out of commission, not 1500, but it does have some impact. The bottom line is the new owners will continue to raise rates, add fees, and squeeze staff as long as they can get away with it.

I can't believe what people are willing to pay to stay in some of these places. During the boat races, SMOB was getting $700 per night! That's just crazy in my opinion,but people paid it.

Get answers to your questions about Key West