We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time driving from FT Lauderdale...

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomington, Indiana
1 post
Save Topic
1st time driving from FT Lauderdale...

Flying into FLL on Dec 26th, renting a convertible and driving to Key West. We aren't in any particular hurry so I'm wondering where we should stop along the way? Food/Drink, Shopping, Scenery, etc?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,790 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time driving from FT Lauderdale...

Check the right hand column for suggestions ---------> top right. Also, take a look on the "Florida Keys" forum for the same question and some different answers.

Rayville, Louisiana
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time driving from FT Lauderdale...

They say don't speed and you should be ok. Stop at as many bars and shady places as you can. You will be back as I have. Stop at the places that look rough, they aren't. Google maps will show you some and you will find some but have fun!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,533 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time driving from FT Lauderdale...

Be sure to educate yourself with FL's cashless tolls, stop at Publix in Key Largo grab yourself a picnic lunch. Eat it at Anne's Beach near Islamorada. Stop and feed the Tarpon at Robbie's.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time driving from FT Lauderdale...

The website for the rental car toll paying program for the cashless tolls: www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Attleboro...
Level Contributor
423 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time driving from FT Lauderdale...

We love stopping at Bahia Honda, and when in a hurry just a quick pull off picnic next to the water.

Sterling Heights...
Level Contributor
192 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time driving from FT Lauderdale...

I will be flying in the same day at FLL but not until 8:30 PM so I won't be able to enjoy the ride through the keys to KW in the daylight. I hope to be able to leave early enough on the way back to FLL on the 31st to enjoy the drive and stop at some cool places on the way. Enjoy the drive in your convertible, I opted for the more economical route with a sedan.

7. Re: 1st time driving from FT Lauderdale...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 14, 2014