We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fantasy Fest 2014

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kings Mills, Ohio
Level Contributor
312 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Fantasy Fest 2014

FF 2013 is over. On to next year. What do you think of the new theme?

"Animéted Dreams & Adventures"

Pretty vague isn't it? It could mean anything. Committee dropped the ball on this one.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
782 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
111. Re: Fantasy Fest 2014

Wow, that's a little too steep for me. Thanks for the info. I think I'll just hang around outside on Duval and move around with the crowd.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
112. Re: Fantasy Fest 2014

Can you guys give me some details about the Masquerade March? How it works, is it worth it, do you have to sign up ahead of time, etc?? Just an overall rundown of the whole thing would be awesome. We're attending our first FF this year, and already happen to have a early afternoon appointment for that day with Pashur to be body painted and most of what I read leads me to believe we should be in the March.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
113. Re: Fantasy Fest 2014

There's been some question as to what exactly Anime' is. This is one I can actually help with! We have teenage girls that attend cons from time to time.

TECHNICALLY, Anime' is considered Japanese animation. But the widely accepted definition these days is nearly anything animated. From Cartoon Network Adult Swim shows, to comic books. Also most anything gaming would fit, and even live action stuff in the spirit of what Anime' is about.

I'm not really sure why they wouldn't have just gone with Animation directly if that's what they were shooting for. The FF crowd doesn't seem like one that would be familiar with the more traditional Anime (which is what everyone that goes to the cons shoots for, because they're trying to be unique).

That being said... Our body painting plan will fall into the theme well and be instantly recognizable, and my wife has a Sherlock plan for Saturday. So it can be done.

Edited: 5:15 pm, June 03, 2014
Kings Mills, Ohio
Level Contributor
312 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
114. Re: Fantasy Fest 2014

buried20kleague-

No, you do not have to sign up for the march. Just show up. Starts at 5:00 on Frances Street behind the cemetery. Goes in two different routes leading to Duval St. There will be a few places along that way that provide free adult refreshments; nothing spectacular but hey, free! Body paint will be OK, but be aware that there will lots of spectators, including kids. Spectators will be mostly residents, so they are aware of the risque outfits. There will be others with body paint too.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
617 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
115. Re: Fantasy Fest 2014

I did the March last year and had a great time.Cgully is right about the kids, I add a little more clothing during the march and took off some clothing when we got on Duval St..... 135 days till FF

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,175 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
116. Re: Fantasy Fest 2014

Thanks for pointing out this is an event that many locals and kids attend. Please wear a costume and save your mostly naked or really risqué get up for the fantasy zone on Duval. Frankly, body paint is not really appropriate for this event in my opinion. This used to be called the locals parade and it was an event for creative costumes and there are many kids. The last couple years some people have started showing up with body paint but that is not the theme or intent of this event.

Kings Mills, Ohio
Level Contributor
312 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
117. Re: Fantasy Fest 2014

The point I was trying to get across about body paint in the march is it should be WELL COVERED. You know, when you have to be within 5 feet of somebody before you realize it's paint. Personally, I'm fine with skimpy, but for the march you may want to be covered.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
118. Re: Fantasy Fest 2014

Well, our paint is going to be full body... Literally from forehead to ankle. And one of those that you probably won't know is paint unless you're fairly close. It's actually Disney themed too. Don't know if that's good or bad with kids there. :| And my wife will be wearing a very tiny skirt with it (so nothing visable down below), and I will have some kind of small shorts on. But she would be topless and fully painted.

I see your point, SDT, and wouldn't mind laying out of it... We have kids ourselves so we totally respect that, absolutely. But at the same time, I would hate to then VIEW the march and see that our paint is tame in comparison to what else I see. While I'm HOPING this is a yearly trip for us (so waiting a year for the march wouldn't matter too much), you just never know... And I would hate to miss out on the experience. ??

Also, what is the real POINT of the whole thing? Is it basically all about getting your picture taken hundreds of times along the way, like a central kind of photo-op? Or is it just about meeting and chatting with people along the way? Something else?

Kings Mills, Ohio
Level Contributor
312 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
119. Re: Fantasy Fest 2014

It's been more than a couple years since people got painted for the march. http://maddogenterprises.com posts pictures every year back to 2006. You'll see people in the march with very little body paint. I'm sure SDT is right though that originally it was a locals parade with adults and kids.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,175 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
120. Re: Fantasy Fest 2014

I guess the point of the parade is to walk along the route with lots of other revelers, check out the costumes and other people, stop along the way at the places offering drinks and to chat with others. It's a fun event and I would go if I were you.

All I am trying to say is since it winds through the heart of town away from Duval Street and the Fantasy Zone, just be aware. I think KW-dreamin captured it. Wear a little more clothes, and then take them off again back on Duval! Full, heavy body paint should be fine. Walking around with a bit of paint on your body and a small sock on your junk, not so much... :-)