We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KW Trip Summary

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
KW Trip Summary

Hi Everyone,

So I started off posting a couple daily reports but then KW took me over and I just couldn't find time to post... but I guess that is the point huh?

For this trip we primarily spent our time at Pier House beach during the days and tried to relax as much as possible so I probably don't have anything that interesting to post. I know how much I love to live vicariously through your trip reports when I am counting down so here are some highlights.. I apologize ahead of time for the "choppiness" of the writing.. I am just spewing it out as I remember things..

Pier House

- We again enjoyed staying at the Pier House.. This was our 6th stay here and it still is in our opinion the perfect place to stay. The location, ambience and beach just can't be beat! The service has always been good but this time, it seemed even better than in the past. The place just keeps getting better and we will continue to be loyal customers.

NOTE: Harbor View Rooms are great to watch the boats come in and out and the sunset in MAY because it sets between sunset key and tank island. In October, you cannot see the sunset from the Harbor View Room balconies because it sets closer to mallory square area. I am very glad I didn't spend the money on a Harbor View for this trip because of this. We did miss watching the boats sail out in the morning but we took advantage of sitting on the beach in the evening by the waters edge. It was great!

Great Meals

- Grunts- We had dinner one night here based on recommendations from this forum and it didn't disappoint. We started with the fish taco appetizer and then we both had the mahi mahi special which was served blackened over rice with grilled veggies in a spicy tomato salsa sauce. It was my favorite meal of the trip.

- Alonzo's- We enjoyed the yellowtail snapper here for dinner. It was very good but very heavy served over potatoes.

- Harbor View Cafe at Pier House- We had breakfast here many mornings.. It was very reasonable and enjoyable to wake up watching the boats in the harbor and breathing in the fresh sea air. Only 8.95 for eggs, potatoes and toast which is equal or less than many places around the area and of course they have many other options.

Typically we like to try new Breakfast places and in the past have eaten at most of the favs on this board.... This trip, since it was all about relaxation, we really spent alot of time at the hotel and we really enjoyed having breakfast here.

Sunset Pier Bar- TWO WORDS! FISH TACOS... blackened.. just try them..

Garbo's Grill- Great service with a smile... yummy food... Fish tacos are great and huge portions..

Conch Republic- Love happy hour with 2 for 1's here at the bar... discovered they make a mean blackened, bbq chicken sandwich. They really had some good entertainment too.. we loved listening to Jeff Clark, Din Allen and Tony and Oscar..

Duetto- Try the gelato... very creamy and good

We spent most of our happy hours at Conch but did stop in at some others.. Boat House didn't live up to the hype fo us.. I still gag thinking about the tarter sauce covered bread.. We did enjoy dinner at Boat House a fews trips ago so they do have some good stuff too.

Unfortunately the snorkeling conditions were not good last week as the water was cloudy with the storms all around so we didn't go out to the reef at all. The weather was perfect though.. we really enjoyed October. It was sunny and warm but not as humid as May. It was truly a great trip..

One of the most amazing things that happened this trip was that while we were in the water at the Pier House beach a manatee swam in!... It was HUGE! He swam in towards the dock and then turned and swam out towards the Hyatt. He popped his head up a few times.. it was amazing to be so close.. we definitely will not forget this experience anytime soon.

We also spent time walking around Duval a bit and listening to some live music.... We wanted to make it to the Smokin Tuna but just couldn't seem to get there so we will try again next trip. We also never made it to Schooner Wharf this trip and we always enjoy having a few drinks there...We did however make sure to get me my Chocohol at Flying Monkeys.. :) Can't miss that..

We are already booked for our May 2014 trip and have decided that we will be going at least twice per year from now on...:) What I love is that I am the traveler in the relationship.. when I met my boyfriend over 10 yrs ago he didn't travel at all! When I suggested that we go on vacation to KW for the first time he couldn't understand why I'd want to take him there (I had been there twice at that point and knew how awesome it was) I told him to trust me that he would love it.. and well .. now he has Keys disease worse than me.. He actually told me when we were vacationing last week that we may have to return before May! LOL.. I created a monster but I guess that it is a good monster... :)

We met alot of great people this trip... it was just alot of fun and I wil now start counting down the days until May 18th! :)

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: KW Trip Summary

Great report - enjoyed all the meal reviews and especially cool hearing about the manatee. Thanks for posting!

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: KW Trip Summary

Thanks for the report. Funny what we do for relaxing is walk around, we aren't big on the Beach we have spent a few hours at the Pier House Beach bar, very nice spot could see why people like it.

PJ

Reading...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: KW Trip Summary

Thanks for the cool report , you def hit up some of my faves... Yes I'm smiling

14. Re: KW Trip Summary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 16, 2014