We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dry Tortugas?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Dry Tortugas?

Has anyone done the trip to the Dry Tortugas? If so, did you think it was worth it? How was the snorkeling? Can you tell me how long it would take to get there via boat vs. via plane? Any companies you can recommend to take the trip? Thanks for any guidance you can give me!

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dry Tortugas?

The only boat going out is the Yankee Freedom. It takes 2 hours and 15 minutes, and costs about 165 dollars.

The Seaplane takes 40 minutes and costs about 280 dollars. It's all day on the boat and you can do a full or half day on the Seaplane. I loved the whole experience, the boat ride out, the tour of the fort, the snorkeling....everything! The snorkeling was pretty good. Some of the better areas, you have to swim aways to get to. Was it worth it? It was for me!!

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dry Tortugas?

We took the Yankee Freedom last summer. It was amazing. The boat ride, the tour (we had done our research prior so we left the guided tour & explored on our own after 20 minutes), & the snorkeling. We are going to take the seaplane soon.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dry Tortugas?

if money is no object take the full-day seaplane. It more expensive than the boat, but gets you there much quicker and the 1/2 day seaplane doesn't give you much time if you would like to do lots of snorkeling as well as a tour of the fort.

The boat isn't bad- it's brand new, with lots of space, they serve lots of food and you get to watch a movie on the ride back to KW, but it is a bit long of a sail out there.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,868 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dry Tortugas?

The worth it part is entirely your call. We opted for the seaplane, expensive yes. However it gets you there before everyone else if you take the first flight,same with the last flight out. You have the island mainly to yourself.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dry Tortugas?

We did the plane a couple of years ago - it was awesome and I we loved it. We didn't snorkel while out there. Did the short plane trip and thought it was perfect time. Took a wine and cheese picnic and it was a nice family affair.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,107 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dry Tortugas?

They are using a new Yankee Freedom boat which gets there a little more quickly than the old..just under two hours IIRC. If this is your first trip to Key West I suggest not going out there. It takes too much of a day and costs so much, and there are snorkeling and kayaking trips out of Key West which are a lot of fun, cost less, and use up less of your time.

Pjk.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dry Tortugas?

Thanks everyone. This is great info. The plane ride looks fantastic. If it's raining, do you guys know if they cancel the trip?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dry Tortugas?

They will cancel the trip if it's too dangerous - yes. Otherwise, give them a call and ask their exact policy. They were great to deal with when we made our reservations etc.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,107 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dry Tortugas?

This is one their "Things to Know" page ...

If pilot cancels on the day due to bad weather, you may reschedule or receive a full refund.

Pjk

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dry Tortugas?

We did the boat last January and had a great time, but if I did it again I'd do the plane for sure. The ride out wasn't too bad, but the ride home seemed to take forever. If you have the extra $$, the plane is the way to go! We needed shortie wet suits in January, but you can rent them near the boat docks.

Get answers to your questions about Key West