We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car questions??

Maryland
Level Contributor
699 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car questions??

Coming to KW in November and we will rent a car in Ft. Laud. at the airport. Driving to Key Largo for a couple nights, then on to KW for 5 nights. I will be using c.c. points for the rental.

Any preference in rental agencies? I've read about transponders?? What are they, do we need one? Insurance?? Just want to be prepared when we get there, don't want any "costly" surprises!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
493 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car questions??

Mercy, a transponder is put in your car to collect the "cashless" tolls which are on he Fl. Turnpike. We did not need one when we drove from Lauderdale to KW a couple of yrs. ago. Someone will be able to tell you here if you now do. If you already have a Sun Pass on your car you won't need one. Basically, you pay for the transporter, (I think it is $30) and put money into your account to pay for the Tolls. I would not advise getting one from the Rental company they charge by the day and it is essentially a rip off going to KW, you don't need it.

We always have the insurance with our CC and don't get the extra.

If you get your Rental Car off site from the Airport ie. (Hertz, Sunrise Blvd. FL) there is a substantial savings. $20.00, short cab ride and we knocked off $200 from the rental price getting the car off site. I know that they are closed on Sundays.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,158 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car questions??

Your rental agency will have a sticker or movable transponder. If you want to buy your own it's not $30 but $5. I wouldn't deal with it tho and just go with the rental car one.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,929 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car questions??

I believe that Alamo are one of the cheapest car rental firms for transponders.

Maryland
Level Contributor
699 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car questions??

So now I'm really confused?? Just tell me what we will need for the tolls heading to KW.

Do we need a Sunpass, a transponder?? What's the difference? How much?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,158 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car questions??

Same thing. You don't need anything - your rental car will come with one.

Maryland
Level Contributor
699 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car questions??

Thanks bluewater. So what will the price be? Is it different with different rental agencies...if so how can I find out how much?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car questions??

Mercy ... very different with the various rental agencies. Read here: www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Personally I don't like giving away my hard earned money when I don't have to. You have two alternatives:

1. Purchase a Sunpass Mini when you get here from the likes of Publix supermarket, CVS or Walgreens pharmacies for $5.

2. Drive further west of the Turnpike for 6 miles and take the non-toll route on hwy 997 - a little slower but more scenic.

Edited: 1:36 pm, August 18, 2013
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,158 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car questions??

Go to Sunpass.com - they have a rental section that has some of the different plans.

Each has their own way of handling it. But, I really wouldn't stress too much over it.

Maryland
Level Contributor
699 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car questions??

Okay, thanks for the info....sorry for being a little slow. :(

AhHah.... I did a mapquest search for directions with and without the toll routes. Wasn't that much different in time. Maybe that is the way to go and not have to worry about it. However, will the rental car agency still want to charge us for something even if we don't use it?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,158 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car questions??

Don't try and go the toll less route - it is more time with lots of traffic and lights. It's worth the small cost of Sunpass.