We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Ft. Lauderdale, and then in Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Ft. Lauderdale, and then in Key West

We are flying from Talahassee to Fort Lauderdale in November. Just want to look round, stay one night, I used to work there 55 years ago. Then rent a car and drive to Key West. Please advise on where to stay in both resorts and good prices on Rental Cars. In Key West for 4 or 5 days, prefer character hotel. Any advice on things to do and see while we are there. We will then fly back to U.K. via Atlanta.Fiona

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Ft. Lauderdale, and then in Key West

Are you flying home from KW or driving back to FL? Southern Florida doesn't charge a drop off fee for dropping the car off at a different site. We rented a car from west palm beach and drove it to key west and dropped it off at the airport as soon as we unpacked. It worked out well. You def don't need a car in KW and personally I think it would be a pain. We paid $28 through Priceline but Hotwire also has good rental car rates. As far as the hotel, there seem to be a lot w character around here. We stayed at the westin and enjoyed it but I wouldn't say it has character. To us, the area was most important and we enjoyed staying close to Mallory Square, although when all is said and done, we've spent equal time on both ends of the Duvall area. Enjoy

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
8,694 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Ft. Lauderdale, and then in Key West

When I take a break from Key West and go to Fort Lauderedale I like to stay at the W. It is on the beach, close to some good restaurants, and close to a water taxi stop.

In Key West, the Casa Marina is a historic hotel with a good size beach, 2 pools and rooms in the old section have character. It is a bit far from most of the action, but an easy bike ride downtown. I also recommend B&Bs in Key West for character. Look at The Gardens, Key West Harbor Inn, Mermaid and Alligator or Cypress House. All have good locations and are are in historic homes.

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Ft. Lauderdale, and then in Key West

Thanks, we will fly to Atlanta from Key West, so would drop car of on our arrival. I have now booked a hotel in K.West ,Island Oasis, we wanted to be somewhere downtown to get the benefit of the character of the town rather than at a resort hotel.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,092 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Ft. Lauderdale, and then in Key West

We also stay at the W in FLL and like it there as well as the location.

Albany
Level Contributor
313 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Ft. Lauderdale, and then in Key West

We have stayed in FLL and Hollywood Fl. Hollywood has much nicer beaches and is our preference over FLL. Although we stayed at a really nice place called Pelican Grand Beach Resort in FLL. Rented through recommendations on this site. Beautiful place, nice bar, nice restaurant & nice pool w/lazy river. In Hollywood I recommend the Marriott. Right on the beach, reasonable price, nice pool. I don't recommend the Rip tide even though it got really great reviews on this site (unless they have done renovations & are under new ownership as they were in foreclosure when we were there).

We drove to Key West from Hollywood - took us 5-6 hours, but a beautiful ride. We stayed in Santa Maria Suites - so beautiful. Staff VERY friendly. Nice pool. A little bit of a walk from Duval, but well worth it.

6. Re: Where to stay in Ft. Lauderdale, and then in Key West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 18, 2014