We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bad idea?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Topic
A bad idea?

Travel plans have had to change a little and what was going to be an overnight (july 2-3) trip from Ft. Lauderdale to KW has now turned into only a possible day trip.

Is this a bad idea?

Should really, really wanting to see Key West play a part?

Will we be on the highway forever if we drive down super early on the 3rd (it IS the Monday between the weekend and the 4th so maybe not AS much travel?)

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: A bad idea?

Well, after reading all the advice not to do a day trip I still couldn't resist. I am so glad we went! We left Weston around 8:00AM and even with some rain we made it to Key West by noon. After parking the car our first stop was at Sloppy Joe's for lunch. It was great, atmosphere and food. We spent several hours walking around. We visited the Trueman Annex and enjoyed looking at the beautiful homes. We visited Mel Fisher's and the Shipwreck Historium. After walking up and down several side streets we made our way back to Duval. We enjoyed looking through the shops and taking pictures. I loved running upon some of the places I have read about here. We stopped by the Blonde Giraffe for Key Lime pie, (yummy) and my son loved the internet service since he had his PSP with him. We picked up some stuff at Pat Croce's and made our way to the Bight.

We headed over to Mallory Square for a look around the shops and to wait for the Sunset Celebration. Too bad there was no sun but we had a great time watching the performers. My oldest son has found his life's calling, he wants to be the next sword swallower on Mallory Square. After sunset, we shopped for a few more souveniers before heading back to the car. Just a small sample of Key West but reason to head back for a longer visit ASAP!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: A bad idea?

Every time I visit Key West, I always manage to find many reasons to plan another trip. Glad you enjoyed your time there!

Get answers to your questions about Key West