We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is topless/nude sunbathing common in Key West?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Is topless/nude sunbathing common in Key West?

The reason I ask this question is I have been researching for lodging for a first time visit. I noticed on TA some reviews for Guest Houses mention nude sunbathing at the pools. Also reading a guidebook (it is a bit old-from 2005 must get a new one-any recs?) and it mentions at the Pier House beach there is topless sunbathing.

I am just curious. I've lived in Venice, California (back in the 70's) so it wouldn't be something I've never run across before. Just for some reason was surprised. I don't imagine it is at all places, such as the ones the are more family oriented.

My husband and I just decided yesterday to see if Key West would be a good place to visit in early Oct. I know he really wants to go Bonefishing and I need to be able to amuse myself with the beach and walking around exploring. So as you can see, I know very little about the area as I just started my research.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is topless/nude sunbathing common in Key West?

It is not permitted on any public beaches but as you se, there are many guest houses which are clothing-optional poolside. There is even a clothing-optional bar called the Garden of Eden. Key West is a very liberal town with a very laid back attitude of come-how-you-are and all are accepted.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is topless/nude sunbathing common in Key West?

Thanks for explaining that to me HappyBubble. Appreciate the reply.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,982 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is topless/nude sunbathing common in Key West?

The Pier House has a small beach off the main beach which is topless. People can sit there and not go topless, though.

I couldn't tell from your question whether toplessness / nude sunbathing would be a plus or minus for you.

Pjk

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is topless/nude sunbathing common in Key West?

Oh Pjk it is neither a plus or minus! I was just curious. Just didn't know much about the area. It wouldn't bother me as I lived and went to the (at the time) topless beach in Venice. Just wondered how the regulate it with children around at the resort areas. But I get it now.

By the way, I remember you from the Paris forum if I am not mistaken.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,982 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is topless/nude sunbathing common in Key West?

Most people are more put off by the messages on many of the T shirts in the windows along Duval Street than what little nudity there is in Key West.

Yes, Paris. I'm doing Christmas and New Year's there this year, for a change. I'm actually in Tampa right now awaiting a flight to Key West at 11:00!!!

Pjk

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is topless/nude sunbathing common in Key West?

I was at the Pier House a last month and noticed the sign for the "topless" area at the beach was no longer there. Perhaps that was a change with the new ownership.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is topless/nude sunbathing common in Key West?

Have a great trip to Key West and I am jealous about your upcoming Paris trip. I love it there but my husband is obsessed with Paris. He would choose it as our vacation spot everytime if I let him.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is topless/nude sunbathing common in Key West?

I wouldn't say that nude sunbathing is common. Most places do not allow it. Many of the B & Bs are adult only, and a few of them allow nude sunbathing.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is topless/nude sunbathing common in Key West?

Betaman-I noticed in the reviews mention of new management. I am considering Pier House and any other similar properties.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is topless/nude sunbathing common in Key West?

Southerngal - Pier House is a great property, I have stayed there the past 5 years and love it there. You can't beat the location if you want to be close to the action while at the same time have a quit area to enjoy with the gardens and beach area. Regardless where you stay you will love KW!