We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My trip...what I remember of it.

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
My trip...what I remember of it.

I'm Blueonblue21. You know me from such threads as "June 2013 Roll Call", "PrideFest 2013", and "Robert The Doll...{and other haunted Key West encounters}".

I was on the Island May 31-June 11. Here now I will try to reconstruct my organized degradation...

The plane arrived in Key West at exactly 5:00 that Friday evening. I picked up my luggage, and split a taxi with a couple from Ohio. I checked in to New Orleans House, pitched my luggage in the room, and headed to the Garden Bar. There, I met a local {we had been texting and e-mailing for a couple of months, but this was our first face-to-face meeting}. I ordered a Coke & whiskey and he and I headed to my room to unpack. After the unpacking and some small talk, we headed to the Blue Heaven.

There, I ordered some sort of boozy, fruity drink & pork loin. He had the grouper. The menu is limited, but our food was absolutely wonderful. After dinner, he headed off to an AA meeting, and I headed off to Bourbon St Pub and 801. As the evening turned to night, I vaguely recall talking with people from Georgia, Alabama, Texas, and maybe Kentucky. I also spent lots of time with the locals (they gave me the lowdown on each other). These locals were to be in my life {and I would be in their drama} for the next 11 days.

Edited: 3:24 pm, June 13, 2013
Key West Garden Club
Historic Sites, Gardens, Scenic Walking Areas
West Martello Tower
Historic Sites, Gardens, Scenic Walking Areas
Audubon House & Tropical Gardens
Historic Sites, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Gardens
The Oldest House
Historic Sites, Gardens
Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: My trip...what I remember of it.

We'll miss you again; we don't arrive for our December trip until the 11th. Looking forward to your next trip report - this was fun!

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: My trip...what I remember of it.

Oh, the Pride parade was not nearly as outrageous or as shocking as some on here had feared. Overall, Pride was pretty tame (compared to MY adventures).

Reading...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: My trip...what I remember of it.

Dude awesome report ... I'm smiling , would love to party with ya!! maybe my liver would'nt LOL!

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: My trip...what I remember of it.

Liver smiver!

I'm planning a Thanksgiving visit to the Island...let's go!

Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
57 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: My trip...what I remember of it.

Brilliant! <golf clap>

Will be there 3-5 July. Looking forward to an 'Murica celebration! And I've been training my liver in Germany for what I expect to be an epic lean fest (as it always is when I go to KW).

Cheers!

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: My trip...what I remember of it.

Tips for the amateurs who want to experience a Blue-esque Key West adventure...

*Roll out of bed about 11 am (noon if the housekeeper doesn't wake you). Before you do anything, step outside (clothing optional) and smoke a cigarette.

*Get yourself cleaned up, check your messages, head to the bar. Bloody Mary. Coke and whiskey or Redbull and vodka next. Work the bar a bit if there's anyone interesting there (after your third drink, EVERYone will be interesting).

*Catch an early afternoon buzz then stroll down (or up) Duval. Window shop (laugh hysterically at those obscene novelty T-shirts that you see in the shop's windows...Don't buy any though---once you sober up, they're just not that funny anymore).

*Pet every dog you encounter.

*Find a bar...vodka and Redbull, cranberry and vodka, whiskey and Coke or Coke and rum ..."Where y'all from," you ask the people sitting beside you at the bar. Once you're on your third drink, they'll either be scared and gone or your new best Key West buddy (my bet is scared and gone).

*Back to Duval. Now you're headed either to the Marina or Southernmost Point (water's water). Another bar. It's time for Bloody Mary II. Ask the guitar player if he knows the theme to "Deliverance" .

*Next bar. Redbull and vodka. Work the crowd. Hungry? Maybe a basket of fish & chips somewhere.

*You're at the Marina (or Southernmost Point). Look at the water. You feel a little sober (that's what happens when you eat). Head back to your home bar.

*Chat up the locals at the bar--- make some new friends, pull some strings, work the locals (this will guarantee that the night will be "eventful").

*CENSORED

*CENSORED

*CENSORED

Day two, rinse and repeat.

Monroe, NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: My trip...what I remember of it.

This is excellent!! :) Awesome!

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: My trip...what I remember of it.

Going back Thanksgiving week!

Who's on board?

59. Re: My trip...what I remember of it.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, May 28, 2014
U.S.A.
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: My trip...what I remember of it.

Update---Just got a text from Jon (the misconnection who I finally connected with during my final day(s) on the Island). He has since moved from Key West---but plans to meet me there this coming Thanksgiving trip! YEA!

I appreciate all the wonderful feedback everyone posted on here!

Get answers to your questions about Key West