We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll Roads

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Miichigan
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Toll Roads

Hi all,

Flying into Ft Lauderdale May 4. Have gone over a few of the Q & A's about the cashless toll boths.

Renting from Dollar. I heard about going to CVS to get the mini sunpass (I think). Can I purchase this inside the airport or do I need to scope out a store close by to purchase it? Is this the cheapest way to get down to Key West? Heard that Dollar charges around $41.95 per week. Would like to avoid this if possible. Or, will I be able to use cash along that stretch. Copied Buffetguy's directions so the route should be set. Thanks

Lees Summit
Level Contributor
23 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll Roads

The cheapest way is to go to google maps and put in FLL to Key West, FL. Click Options and select avoid tolls.

Detroit, Miichigan
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll Roads

Great. Looks fairly easy to follow. Any idea how much added time there is (And if in fact its as easy as it looks)? Our flight arrives friday at !0:30 am.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll Roads

Take the turnpike - pay the tolls - it takes a lot longer avoiding them. You can purchase a Sunpass online prior to your trip - or stick with a rental program. Check other rentals for a better deal. You can also purchase at Publix or at a Turnpike rest station (but I don't think you pass one before the first cashless toll) No you cannot use cash as there isn't anyone to give it to.

Detroit, Miichigan
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll Roads

Okay. Avoiding the tolls is out. There is a Publix about 1 1/2 miles from FLL. And I'm assuming the Sunpass mini is the cheapest method (we will only be down to KW once this year). The Sunpass site states the cost is $4.95 for the sticker and an additional $10.00 to load it. Will this $10.00 be enough for both the way down and the way back? Do I need to download and fill out the application from there site (to save time at Publix), or does Publix not require any of this (just grab and go)?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toll Roads

Publix etc are grab and go - then you get on the phone and give them all the info they ask for. If you don't use all of your sunpass you can get a refund. Most tolls are right around $1.00 and depending on which way you go, it may only be about $8 one way. You can check the Sunpass site for exact amounts.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toll Roads

Your easiest option is to go with another rental company and use their toll program. Its so simple and why stress about finding out where to buy the sunpass, calling to register as well as navigating the airport construction ,etc. Ugh, there goes another 45 minutes you could have spent on vacation (I hate wasting precious vacation time!). Check Alamo for example. Dollar has about the worst toll program there is, so unless they offer a way lower price (it would have to be at least the cost of the tolls and their fee), go with another rental company.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toll Roads

Get the transponder for $4.99 and use your phone to get online to put in your payment info and load $15-$20 on it and you should be fine. Living in Miami, I have the transponder box that can be moved vehicle to vehicle but I assume you could just lay the mini-sticker transponder on the dashboard and be good to go. Next time you come to Key West, you will never have to worry about tolls again.

And yes.... You will come to Key West again. It's called the Keys disease and it's infectious!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,349 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toll Roads

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

see the above link for info, you wont hit your first cashless toll til just south of Miami Intl on the Turnpike, there may be some express lanes that are cashless, but those are easy to avoid.

You can purchase and reload your SunPass at CVS now, just be mindful of the 'convenience" fee's

Detroit, Miichigan
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Toll Roads

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Toll Roads