We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Reach or the Westin? Active 50 something couple getaway

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
319 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
The Reach or the Westin? Active 50 something couple getaway

My husband and I are planning a 4 night trip (3 in KW, last night in Ft. Lauderdale before flying out next day) at the end of May - I will have just finished up chemo, so this is a break before surgery. Our previous stay was a week 11 years ago with the kids (now grown) at the Hyatt Beach House, which was wonderful, but we drove to do anything. We would like to be near the action (Duval, walkable to Mallory, restaurants, shops) and will drive to Smathers, or other beaches. We have a reservation at the Reach, but the reviews about rooms not clean, etc are turning me off. I am feeling great, still running and swimming, so walking is okay, but wondering about other recommendations - thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
768 Reviews
Key West, FL
Orchid Key Inn
Orchid Key Inn
#2 of 51 hotels in Key West
Marquesa Hotel
Marquesa Hotel
#6 of 51 hotels in Key West
Eden House
Eden House
#8 of 51 hotels in Key West
Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
626 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Reach or the Westin? Active 50 something couple getaway

Staying 3 nights in KW, it could be hard to find a condo that rents only 3 nights - most are a week minimum. The Westin and The Reach are at opposite ends of old town with the Westin being closer to the action like you metnioned. There are also a wide variety of B&Bs out there too as options scattered all over the place. Give you a more "tradtional" vibe being in an old house.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your time - sounds like you've earned it. Hope all goes well with the chemo.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
403 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The Reach or the Westin? Active 50 something couple getaway

We enjoyed The Reach, but it did not meet our expectations for the caliber of property in that line of hotels and it is at the opposite end from the action. I would definitely choose the Westin. we are staying at Pier House this time' but I had a hard time deciding

Lunenburg...
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: The Reach or the Westin? Active 50 something couple getaway

We stayed at the Reach twice. It's a long walk to Mallory. The bus stop is right around the corner but there is some walking to do to get there. In our opinion the Reach was a comfortable place to stay but few good restaurants in the area. This year we are trying The Pier House Resort. We are both in our 70's so long walks can be difficult for us.

Mentioned in this post
Pier House Resort & Spa
Pier House Resort & Spa
2,507 Reviews
Key West, FL
yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The Reach or the Westin? Active 50 something couple getaway

Big thumbs up for the Westin. Can't beat the location, the perfect sunsets in an evening right on your door step, the gorgeous pool setting with the guys that come round with fruit cocktails on a stick and cool drinks.

Service is great and those beds are complete and utter bliss. High thread count bedding and ultra comfortable. Never slept so well on a holiday.

Would return in a heart beat...

Happy planning!

Edited: 2:58 pm, April 25, 2013
15. Re: The Reach or the Westin? Active 50 something couple getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 27, 2014