We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty and Dollar south FL TOLL RIP OFF

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thrifty and Dollar south FL TOLL RIP OFF

Don't get surprised like I did...

I went from Ft. Myers to Key West and back. My car rez was made a few months earlier. Their program is called Pass24 (besides Thrifty and Dollar, also pertains to Sunshine Rent A Car). It costs $41.99 per week for unlimited tolls. In 2 weeks, I used less than $10 in actual tolls, but paid Thrifty $84. Thrifty made and kept an extra $74 on my rental. You can opt out of Pass24, but will pay a substantial penalty to Thrifty or Dollar if you go through any of the overhead electronic toll lanes (there are no toll attendants or coin baskets to pay so you have no other payment option).

Read the following information carefully so you don’t get surprised by the same ripoff.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Michigan
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrifty and Dollar south FL TOLL RIP OFF

Actually you do have another option, you can buy a portable electronic toll device from CVS and simply call in your rental's license plate number to attach it.

Worth keeping in mind for next time :)

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,600 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty and Dollar south FL TOLL RIP OFF

If you had put tolls or car rental into the search box above you would have found many discussions on this subject as well as direction on how to avoid the toll roads completly (altho it may take more time). There are portable toll devices as suggested above and also the Sunpass mini is available. So far there are only a few places in Florida that have Cashless tolls, most are manned booths.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty and Dollar south FL TOLL RIP OFF

The south Florida coinless tolls and rental car options has been discussed to death here and that link has been posted dozens of times. Sorry you had this problem (I too think its a rip off), maybe its a lesson to read before you sign.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty and Dollar south FL TOLL RIP OFF

Claire, where have you been the past two years. Ever since those cashless tolls were instituted at the beginning of 2011 it has been discussed on TA. Sorry you got "taken" but it is still better than opting out of their Pass 24 program and accidentally going through the cashless tolls - now there you would have see some horrendous charges and not till you got your next credit card statement. Talk about a nasty surprise!!

Edited: 4:34 pm, April 08, 2013
Troy NY
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thrifty and Dollar south FL TOLL RIP OFF

Another alternative is to choose a car rental company that offers reasonable charges - there are a couple.

Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thrifty and Dollar south FL TOLL RIP OFF

We also researched car rental policies before renting. I think we paid $3.99 for the week plus the cost of tolls. It sure is a ripoff if not choosing wisely. TA was a big help in saving us money on tolls!

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thrifty and Dollar south FL TOLL RIP OFF

Thats why I use Avis

Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thrifty and Dollar south FL TOLL RIP OFF

Could you please let me know which companies play fairly re: toll payments. From the post above, Avis, is a good bet, but are there others? Please advise?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thrifty and Dollar south FL TOLL RIP OFF

Friendly - this link (already posted) shows the major rental firms charges. It has been update recently as some firms including Hertz increased their fees.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Those with the lowest toll program fees include Alamo, Avis and National.

It's worth noting that it does depend on your itinerary. Some renters do well with the Dollar program - if they drive through several tolls on a short rental as their fee includes the tolls themselves.

Edited: 6:10 am, April 09, 2013
maine
Level Contributor
44 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thrifty and Dollar south FL TOLL RIP OFF

Hey all, I have read a ton on this but still cannot get a clear answer. If I am traveling from Fort Lauderdale to Key West are there any toll plazas where I cannot just choose a lane and pay cash? My car rental program charges $7.99 a day which I'd rather opt out of, but maybe I should do something different if there are no cash options... Thanks for any help

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL