We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touristy Bars?

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
428 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Touristy Bars?

So, in my past two visits, I've eschewed places like Sloppy Joe's and and Hog's Breath because they're "too touristy". Perhaps, I've been a little hasty in my decision. I guess they're popular for a reason. So, are any of these "tourist bars" worth going to? April can not come soon enough!!

Edited: 2:10 pm, March 17, 2013
Bien
$, Latin, Fusion, Caribbean
La Grignote
$$ - $$$, French, Cafe
Keys Coffee Co.
$, American, Cafe, Healthy
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,191 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touristy Bars?

Touristy schmoristy. I always stop at Sloppy Joe's to have a beer, snag a souvenir cup, and people watch. The music isn't too rowdy in the afternoon and I just like the place. And check out the great Crafted Draft Beer selection in Joe’s Tap Room, around the corner on Green. I will stop at the Hog's Breath if there is some good music playing as I pass by at night.

I don't particularly like or visit Captain Tony's or Margeritaville much anymore, though.

Pjk

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touristy Bars?

We are tourists at heart, even after 6 visits! We love Irish Kevin's when NY Pauly is playing. One of our favorite bartenders works at Hog's Breath, and she remembered us after not seeing us in over four years! We always stop in for at least one drink at Sloppy Joe's, but we prefer it there during the day when it's less crowded.

We haven't liked Captain Tony's recently, but it's worth seeing at least once.

In the minority on this, but we make one visit to Margaritaville each trip. We love the burger.

So yes, in my opinion, some "touristy" spots are worth a shot!

conn
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touristy Bars?

To me Sloppy Joe's get's some great bands. I always stop here for a drink, Sloppy fries and listen to music first thing when I come to town.

Edited: 4:25 pm, March 17, 2013
Level Contributor
288 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touristy Bars?

Sloppy Joes is good for a drink, food not so great. Very unimpressed with Captain Tonys and Hogs Breath.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touristy Bars?

We haven't been in Sloppy Joe's in years, but I keep meaning to stop in there and get a soft pretzel after seeing a friend's picture of it on Facebook. The main reason we don't go to Margaritaville is because there's one in Orlando (and we've been to that one several times). We've only been in Hog's Breath three or four times, but wouldn't write it off. The last time we went was when it was still on the bar card and service was better than I remembered it being on previous visits.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
428 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touristy Bars?

Capt. Tony's is a dive (in a good way)! I don't really consider it touristy, but I guess it is. The Bull is also a lot of fun. Does anybody know any other good dive bars?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,191 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touristy Bars?

See if you can find the Live Bait Lounge.

Pjk

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Touristy Bars?

All of the touristy Bars can be fun if the band is good, there is nothing wrong with going in if you see something you like. Walk around first to see who is playing, hear something you like give it a try.

PJ

Orlando
Level Contributor
412 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Touristy Bars?

Locals scoff at Sloppy Joe's, but I think it great fun for the people watching alone, especially if there is a cruise ship in port! Dh and I pull up a seat right by the dance floor and enjoy the show LOL! Popped in there on my 40th and got pulled up on stage w/ the band and got to show my mad tambourine skills ;-)

I love Sloppy Joe's

Mentioned in this post
Sloppy Joe's
Sloppy Joe's
6,316 Reviews
Key West, FL
South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Touristy Bars?

I don't think my 15 year record of not going to Margaritaville will end any time soon, I've always found it sterile. I never miss going to The Hog, usually hit Captain Tony's once and Sloppy Joe is 50/50. I am a tourist in Key West although I like going to bars in NYC where I lived for 40 years that are considered touristy. Fun is fun no matter what it is labeled which is why I go to bars.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL