We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another "Which Hotel?" thread

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
82 posts
Yet another "Which Hotel?" thread

Okay, my wife and I are going to Key West in August. We will not have a car. I plan on renting bikes for getting around during the day. I prefer to walk to the bars and restaurants at night.

I think I have narrowed my choices to the Pier House, Southernmost on the Beach, and Casa Marina. Pier House seems to be in the best location. SOMB seems like a nice balance between Duval and a relaxing locale. Casa Marina is the least expensive and looks beautiful, but it is the furthest from the nightlife.

Any thoughts? Pros and cons?

One last thing to add. My wife insists that the hotel have a decent happy hour.

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 9:27 pm, March 09, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Yet another "Which Hotel?" thread

Southernmost on the Beach (Cafe) has the best HH of the three. Pier House has the best location if you want to quickly walk to great nightlife. Casa Marina has the best property of the three (including best beach). I didn't help much, did I? If you'd asked me two months go, I would have said hands down, stay at Pier House. Then I stayed at Casa Marina last month and fell in love with it. I do like being very close to our favorite bars, but would absolutely "sacrifice" that if Casa Marina is less expensive than the others. Don't forget though that Casa does add a $25 per day resort fee, while the others do not.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Yet another "Which Hotel?" thread

All three are wonderful properties and have excellent features, both on property and due to location.

A couple of things to consider:

1) the bars and restaurants in town are where the Happy Hour action is. There are specials all over, often half priced drinks and appetizers, BOGO drinks,.$5 small plates, etc. If you enjoy happy hours, get out around town enjoy a wide variety!

2) it's HOT in August. The idea of walking from Casa Marina out to dinner, for music, etc, even at night, might be tougher than you think. There is a super convenient cab stand across from the hotel, but It doesn't fit with your walking preference.

Given those two factors, I'd pick Pier House. But, no matter what, you'll be staying at a wonderful place, no matter which you choose.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Yet another "Which Hotel?" thread

Although, Pier House is close to Duval.. you feel a world away when on the property. Go to the Pier House!

Cruise Mom.. Is the beach at Casa better than Pier House? I thought it was rocky...

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Yet another "Which Hotel?" thread

I liked the beach at Casa Marina the best. We have not stayed at Pier House, but have been to the beach bar there several times and have walked out on the beach. The grounds at Pier House are very nice, but I absolutely love Casa Marina. For location though, Pier House cannot be beat.

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Yet another "Which Hotel?" thread

I agree. Location-wise in August, the Pier House is a good bet. All of them are beautiful properties, though!

North Metro ATL, GA
Level Contributor
795 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Yet another "Which Hotel?" thread

The Pier House is close to any number of happy hour options, much more so than the other two options you mention.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
30,747 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Yet another "Which Hotel?" thread

I have an email from the Pier House with a bunch of special packages. Do you want me to forward it to you?

Pjk

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
82 posts
8. Re: Yet another "Which Hotel?" thread

Pjk

Yes, please send me the email.

Pier House looks like it might be the winner. I'll be making reservations within the week.

Thanks all.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
30,747 posts
69 reviews
9. Re: Yet another "Which Hotel?" thread

I sent you the link!

Pjk

Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
151 posts
45 reviews
10. Re: Yet another "Which Hotel?" thread

I would pick Pier House for sure. We just spent a week at The Pier House from 2/23 -3/3 and it was beautiful. Clean rooms, great little beach where they set up your chais wherever you like. Pool bar where they will bring you your drinks on the beach. Very very close to all the action on Duval. We walked everywhere and nothing was too far away. Even in the rain! And all the staff at the Pier House is super!! Would not hesitate to stay there again. Ask for a Lanai room Great view! Thanks PJK for that tip.

Get answers to your questions about Key West