We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Key West with a 15 month old - Too Rowdy?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Key West with a 15 month old - Too Rowdy?

My husband and I are looking for a non-Mexico beach trip with our 15 month old toddler. Travel distance is an issue for us, and Key West is a decent ~4 hour flight total plus boat to Sunset Keys.

Sunset Keys seems to be a little more laid back and allows us some freedom to lay at beach or pool with monitor while toddler naps once a day. Key West itself seems rowdy though - - is it too rowdy? Obv a toddler cannot read explicit t-shirts etc, so that's not our main issue., but since we've never been we are unsure what it's like. We will be going mid to later May.

Any advice?

And please don't say for us to leave the baby at home. I am breastfeeding and we have no child care otherwise. Mother-in-law *may* come along, but we aren't relying on it.

10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Key West with a 15 month old - Too Rowdy?

No it won't be too rowdy. Last year we were down with my nephew 3 & have been taking my kids for years. They love the aquarium, beach at fort Zachary Taylor, conch train ride & especially chasing the roosters. I think your child will love all the sites & music at the sunset celebration, enjoy

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,172 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Key West with a 15 month old - Too Rowdy?

Do you mean the cottages on Sunset Key through the Westin? If so I think they would be very nice for all of you. It's like being at a small resort with a private beach but a short boat shuttle to Key West. There are things to do an see on Key West, even taking along a small child, and I've seen children that young on snorkelong trips out to the reef and on day sails.

Pjk

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Key West with a 15 month old - Too Rowdy?

I did mean the cottages at Sunset Key through Westin. I realize now that I wasn't being totally clear. Ok that's good to know, thanks! We are super excited then! It's pricy but hopefully worth it.

Should we stay on Key West instead of Sunset Key?

Edited: 9:42 pm, March 05, 2013
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,267 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Key West with a 15 month old - Too Rowdy?

Just my opinion, If I were going on vacation with a 15 month old, I would look at The Middle Keys. Marathon or Islamorada would be my choice. Look at a Cheeca Lodge or Hawks Key.

If you are set on Key West, Casa Marina would be a good alternative to Sunset Key.

Cumming, GA
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Key West with a 15 month old - Too Rowdy?

We've been taking our son to Key West since he was 8 mos. old. We usually rent a house or condo in Truman Annex. Its gated and a little more quiet than the rest of old town. Don't miss the Key West toy factory it is awesome!

In general I do not find Key West to be "rowdy". Duval street at night can be a different story or during fantasy fest or spring break. I would avoid those times.

Key West is also not known for its beaches, can't really compare to Mexico.

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Key West with a 15 month old - Too Rowdy?

Sunset Key or on Key west would both be fine. As mentioned neither will compare to Mexico beaches just be aware of that.

If you want a quiet time and you are ok with the price I think Sunset Key would be great and you can always jump on the boat and explore Key West as you wish. If you choose to stay on Key West itself you will be fine with the toddler.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Key West with a 15 month old - Too Rowdy?

What SDT said - I agree 1,000%. If you want to make a day trip into KW, it's an easy 1 hour drive from Marathon.

Edited: 10:10 am, March 06, 2013
Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Key West with a 15 month old - Too Rowdy?

I do not feel there is anything that is too rowdy that would prevent me from bringing our children to KW. Sunset Key is secluded and would be great as you can enjoy KW (restaurants and activities), but yet feel like you are miles away from KW when you are on Sunset Key.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset Key West with a 15 month old - Too Rowdy?

Ok, great info. I appreciate all the input! Driving 1 hour each way for a day-trip isn't really what we want. We won't be renting a car even. Plus Southwest doesn't fly into Marathon or Middle Keys (I don't think). SW is what is getting us there in under 4 hours...all the other airlines have longer travel times and higher cost for Key West/Middle Keys. Honestly if we don't do Key West area, we would look at different areas of FL altogether with short flights. DFW/DAL has surprisingly few non-stop flights to "tropical" destinations.

It sounds like we will have a great time in Key West, but not to expect Mexico-caliber beaches. Sunset Key Cottages are very pricy, but allows us to hang at beach while toddler naps 2-3 hours a day (big bonus for us), so we are going to weigh both factors into our decision. Florida seems to have many great destinations, but we are unfamiliar so it's hard to figure out what's best.

Thanks!

Reading...
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunset Key West with a 15 month old - Too Rowdy?

Your staying at a beautiful resort! It'snight and day from the hustle and bustle of Duval.The lower half of Duval can be "rowdy" , I'd say more busy then rowdy though. We have been taking our son to KW since he popped out of the womb and it was and still is fine. My biggest piece of advice is to see KW not just Duval Street, take strolls on the back streets , stroll through Truman Annex. Enjoy dinner at Latitudes on Sunset Key , arguably one of the best restaraunts on the island. The Key West Toy Factory was really cool but sadly it closed. Take the little one on a sunset cruise with you guys. One of the things we do is every year we take a picture with our son at the same landmark , and see how he's grown over the years. ENJOY!

Get answers to your questions about Key West