We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running on Key West

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Topic
Running on Key West

I'm coming down for my first Key West adventure (of many, hopefully) from March 1st-3rd with my girlfriend, who is in training for the Boston Marathon in April. We're hoping to do a 15-20 mile run on Saturday, and shorter 6-8 mile runs Fri & Sun. Can we run the outer edge of the island all the way around, or out and back on U.S. 1 on the side of the road, or any combination of the two?

Basically, can anyone recommend a running route that we can utilize once or twice on our stay?

Thanks -

Sam

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,569 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running on Key West

Tis has a little information...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34345-i53-k564567…

Pjk

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Running on Key West

Thanks so much Pjk! Doing my homework for the trip now, and your posts have been super helpful!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,569 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running on Key West

There's a water fountain and a bathroom on Higgs, next to Salute.

Pjk

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Running on Key West

Hydration won't be an issue. We carry a bottle between us on long runs, and sport jelly beans for energy. Mostly was trying to figure out distance around the edge of the island, and if it was continuous...

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running on Key West

I think you'll find that the major construction project on North Roosevelt Blvd will make it difficult, if not impossible, to run around the island.

South Roosevelt and Flagler will give you good routes for your short days tho.

What's your starting point?

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Running on Key West

We're staying near the corner of Bertha and Flagler. We can def find 6-8 mile routes just exploring the streets and edges of the south edge of the island. I'm worried about finding a 16 -20 mile route that is different.

Any advice you have Key West Steps, would be appreciated....

Was thinking of going out and back on U.S. 1 a bit, or maybe adding in Sigsbee Park and/or Stock Island...

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Running on Key West

I ride my bike along Hwy 1 and don't see why a run there wouldn't work.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
433 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Running on Key West

We were there in November and I ran and rode bikes on the sidewalk along Roosevelt. It was open then but can't say for sure it is now.

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Running on Key West

Thanks for the updates, CTDesign and bssskins. We may just take our rental car that way when we first arrive to check all the current conditions, and then decide from there. Was just trying to get the local take on it. Thanks so much.

On another note - Feel free to add your one "can't miss" spot to visit, store, restaurant or bar in here if you'd like. We like crowd sourcing the non-tourist spots from local residents for our trips - we like to travel as if we lived there... :)

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,569 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Running on Key West

I ran the *last* time there was construction there and could get by each morning.

Pjk

Get answers to your questions about Key West