We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive things to do

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Inexpensive things to do

Hi everyone. I will be in Key West from 2/21- 3/1 and since it is the first time I am staying IN Key West (usually I camp up on Sugarloaf), and since I am blowing most of my money on fishing and the rest of it on eating too much, I am looking for your favorite cheap/free things to do in town. I like walking and biking around Old Town and checking out galleries and I like anything naturey. Also would be interested in especially good music going on while I'm there, cool exhibits, talks, festivals, nude 5k races or just anything you think is cool.

What is a good local source for things like who is playing music where and other events around town?

Thanks...can't wait to get out of the snow!

Rick

North Metro ATL, GA
Level Contributor
795 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Inexpensive things to do

For your walking tours around Old Town, we've always enjoyed the printed version of Sharon Wells' Walking and Biking Tour. I'm not sure if that is still available anywhere, but you can buy an app that will serve the same function.

http://www.walkbikeguide.com/

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Inexpensive things to do

I found a blog where someone is logging odd, offbeat, and inexpensive things to see in the Keys. Some of them don't seem interesting enough to me to go look for, but there are some that look fun for a photo op because they are off the beaten track of the typical tourist sites.

http://shoestringweekends.wordpress.com/

SE WI
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Inexpensive things to do

where would I get these coupons? I'm traveling to KW this summer. Thanks! Stacy

SE WI
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Inexpensive things to do

where could I get these coupons you refer to? I will be in KW this summer. Thanks!

Woonsocket, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Inexpensive things to do

I will be in Key West 3/2-3/6 and was wondering if it is at all humid there at this time of the year and if we need to bring any long jeans with us? Also anyone ever stay at the Best Western Key Ambassaor? sandie rhode island

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Inexpensive things to do

It can be humid. Bring a pair of jeans, there may be a cool evening. Keep in mind a lot of places are "open air". On the cool evenings I have been there we wore jeans, sandals, and a sweatshirt over tees or tank tops. You may not need them, but if you need it and don't have it, that might be a problem.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,997 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Inexpensive things to do

A good place for deals is the Key West Chamber of Commerce's web page

www.keywestchamber.org/coupons/index.aspx

...but always be aware of any expiry dates.

Pjk

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,997 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Inexpensive things to do

You can rent inexpensive snorkeling equipment on Higgs and Smathers beach, and in the Fort Zachery Taylor park. The beaches are free but there is a small admission fee for the park. Any of these would be a good way to spend a day, beaching and snirkeling or swimming.

Pjk

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Inexpensive things to do

Wow thanks for all the replies...you guys rock! lots of great info. I will be renting a bike but won't have a car so Stock Island is about as far as I'm going.

It'll take me a while to check out all the info but this is just what I was looking for. All the times I've been to key west have been for a day or afternoon and eating and wandering around have been more than enough to entertain myself. This time I think I'll need a little more.

Thanks again

St Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Inexpensive things to do

I forgot about the Blue Hole. It is a way to see wildlife. Then you can go to No Name Pub and see the 'other' kind of Keys wildlife!