We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stock Island Safe for single female?

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stock Island Safe for single female?

A friend of mine is thinking of renting a houseboat on Stock Island for her stay. She will be staying alone. Someone has warned her that Stock Island is not a safe place for a single female to stay alone because there is a drug element that lives there. Has anyone heard of any dangerous about Stock Island? Would you feel comfortable allowing a female friend of yours staying there alone? How about travelling back and forth to Key West at night? Any information or advice would be appreciated. I would hate to have something happen while she is there.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,158 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stock Island Safe for single female?

I, as a female, would not feel uneasy about staying on Stock Island. I have stayed there before and not felt uneasy and I have friends that live there and the only complaint I've heard them mention is they wished they were still in the middle Keys and not near Key West. (but not for safety reasons) I would be sure to research the house boat though.

2. Re: Stock Island Safe for single female?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:39 pm, February 09, 2013
Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stock Island Safe for single female?

I agree with Blue...I would make sure I checked out the houseboat completely...thee have ben a number of reports of scams, etc on houseboats.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stock Island Safe for single female?

I don't know if there is a whole lot for a singlet tourist to do on stock island. I would not recommend it

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,520 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stock Island Safe for single female?

We've ran around Stock Island for years, the old Hickory House, Hogfish, Rusty Anchor. In all honesty, I would be cautious staying there on my own. As mentioned do the research of the area, and how she will get back and forth from SI to KW. I personally would be wary of recommending Stock Island to a single female who has never visited the island before.

My opinion only.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stock Island Safe for single female?

I wouldn't do it, myself speaking. Stock Island has it's share of shady characters and definitely illicit activity going on. I wouldn't stay there alone at all. Sounds like a bad idea to me, like some trouble waiting to happen. To each his own though.

7. Re: Stock Island Safe for single female?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 11, 2014