We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to So FL.. day at Key Biscayne or head to KW

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westwood...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First time to So FL.. day at Key Biscayne or head to KW

Planning Thur-Monday (mem day weekened) trip. Flying into MIA and was thinking of driving to KeyWest and flying back to MIA. I have 2 14 year old boys so we will need time for water sports and snorkling. Original plans included staying in Sunny Isles and a visit to Key Biscayne National Park and the Everglades. After seeing more pictures this area is too much like a city but already have plane tickets to MIA so I am looking for an alternative. Do you think it is worth spending Thursday at Key Biscayne then head to KeyWest on Friday. I imagine the holiday weekend traffic will be pretty bad. Other choice is forget about going to the Keys and go North to Ft Lauderdale. We want to see palm trees!

How do the snorkling options compare between Key Biscane and north versus the keys?

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First time to So FL.. day at Key Biscayne or head to KW

I'll add to this. "Urban Beach Week" in SoBe a couple years back my neighbor rented his house to some couples attending, though I am in Key Largo. Guess they could not find anything in SoBe and didn't mind being so far away or didn't know better. Well, Sunday in the early morning hours, other neighbors called MCSO because the guys were fighting with knives outside in my quiet neighborhood!!! This is what attends "Urban Beach Weekend."

As to traffic...we used to attend the Keys radio show Monday late afternoon at a Key Largo restaurant 3 miles south of where I live. When the radio show ended at 7pm Memorial Day, I had to drive NORTH 3 miles to get home. It took 45 minutes in the bumper to bumper traffic leaving the Keys!

Have you thought about staying on Key Biscayne? I am only familiar with the Ritz Carlton, and of course it is super. Ft. Lauderdale will be packed for Memorial Day weekend, but great beaches and things to walk and do. I have stayed at the W Hotel, the RC and the Marriott Beach Place condos. Liked them all. Have also stayed at the Hilton, which was run down, but cheap comparatively and a good location.

Edited: 5:48 am, February 03, 2013
In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First time to So FL.. day at Key Biscayne or head to KW

As per BG advice I googled Urban Beach Week. Umm, not a place, or even close to an area where I'd want to take 2 teenage boys!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,263 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time to So FL.. day at Key Biscayne or head to KW

We stayed at Marriott Beach Place Towers in Ft. Lauderdale for a week last May. Loved the resort and the location was perfect, close to many restaurants and bars. Unfortunately, I discovered I'm not really a fan of Ft. Lauderdale.

14. Re: First time to So FL.. day at Key Biscayne or head to KW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 05, 2014