We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giant Shrimp

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anderson, South...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Giant Shrimp

Where in the Keys can I find the LARGEST fried shrimp? I'm planning a vacation to the Keys soon and I've been looking at a lot of different restaurant menu's but nothing really about jumbo shrimp. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks! :)

conn
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giant Shrimp

Jumbo shrimp doesn't mean the best shrimp. The pink shrimp are famous in the Keys. They are delicious. Many restaurants serve them.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giant Shrimp

Giant Shrimp aren't native to the Keys so will come in frozen ;-( Def go with the tasty Key West Pinks....yummy!

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
270 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giant Shrimp

Do Schooner's Wharf for dinner... they have some great shrimp(coconut was perfect), or B O's Fish Wagon for lunch. Both will not disappoint. Hog's breath has a "Huge shrimp cocktail" but as before mentioned, these are not as fresh.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giant Shrimp

There is a co in Key Largo that raises Giant Prawns. They don't sell well in the Keys so most are exported. FWIW, I've had them many times and they are incredible, but the average buyer in the Keys and Key West - they don't purchase to taste them. Point being.... get what you can. I am in the food biz and don't understand why the giant prawns don't sell well here, maybe the cost? But they taste better then any shrimp I've had. IMO anyway....

And no, they aren't inexpensive but weight vs cost to the others they aren't that bad, it just seems to shock to those that don't get what they are.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,513 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giant Shrimp

Jumbo shrimp, or prawns, aren't found in the waters around the Keys and would probably be frozen, or farmed (see above!).

In the Keys, in the stores or restaurants, does the country of origin of meats or vegetables have to be listed like here in CA?

It's always nice to know if the shrimp in the market is local or from the other side of the planet.

Edited: 7:06 pm, January 19, 2013
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giant Shrimp

Yes, country of origin is listed. so is frozen or not. However, if flash frozen they don't have to be listed as frozen per law. It's near impossible to buy a shrimp, KWP or not, that haven't been frozen.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Giant Shrimp

We buy flash frozen KWP and love them. Best part about the flash frozen KWP is that they don't have to have any preservatives at all unlike those kept out fresh.

NO comparison to the Non Flavor of the Large Lovely Uniform Farm Raised shrimp at all. They make a lovely presentation and taste exactly like whatever sauce they are dipped in. Can't replace the natural brine flavor of the local open water shrimp. Those Key West Pinks will always be our first choice.

Flemington, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Giant Shrimp

What are Key West Pinks? We are house hunting and planning to relocate somewhere in the keys and my husband loves to fish and would like to try shrimping as well. What's it like fishing and shrimping down there?

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Giant Shrimp

Pinks are the localy caught shrimp. I would say based on the amount of fishing boats the fishing is some of the best in the US. Shrimping I don't know much about. But the pinks are great.

PJ

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Giant Shrimp

Shrimping in FL is primarily done in offshore waters by commercial boats. Fishing is excellent. Fishing offshore for dolphin (mahi) is excellent and the occasional wahoo and sailfish as well as small tuna also can be found there. Reef fishing is also very good with a mixed bag of snapper etc.

Back Country (Fl bay) fishing is popular with light tackle and fly fishing. The Keys is a true haven for fishermen and women! Even fishing from the many bridges is popular.