We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Freehold, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

So I'm planning a big trip into Key West, but we are all coming from New Jersey. Its much cheaper to fly into Miami/Fort Lauderdale, than it is into Key West, but then what's the best way to get to Key West from Miami/Fort Lauderdale? I'm trying to look into a ferry of some kind, but am running into difficulties on the sites. Nothing looks for sure. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,109 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

Definitely rent a car. The drive to Key West is worth it once you get past the south end of Miami and enter the upper keys.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

No ferry from MIA or FLL area so your choices are The Keys Shuttle or a car. The drive is pretty simple if you get on the turnpike/toll road and stay off US1 until you get into the keys. After entering the keys, its all one road, easy peasy and there are many places to stop and explore along the way.

West Freehold, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

Thank you very much guys. Exactly what I was needing to hear.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

One thing to be aware of in using that part of the Turnpike - the toll booths do not accept cash, they are unmanned cashless tolls. You have to have either your own Sunpass or use the one the rental car people provide and for which they charge a fee on top of the tolls. Read this website: www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

You can avoid using the rental company's toll package by purchasing the Sunpass Mini when you get here at any CVS pharmacy or Publix supermarket.

Hilton, New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

Does anyone know how much the Sunpass fee is that the rental car people charge? We are flying into Lauderdale and driving down to KW...is it worth the trouble to try to get a Sunpass before we come in March?

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

Yes, it's all spelled out in the page shaghag provided a link to above.

Vassar, Michigan
Level Contributor
57 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

I believe that there is a ferry from Fort Myers to Key West if you wanted to explore that option.

Level Contributor
288 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

Drive, it's well worth to do once. I'd say rent a vehicle big enough for everyone to fit in and turn it in at KW airport, unless you'll be doing things off island. If you plan on being and staying in KW the whole trip a car isn't worth having IMO. We've done this twice and Budget Rent a Car has ( had) no drop fee.

chicago,IL
Level Contributor
152 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

My family just did the trip you are about to do. We flew into Lauderdale. Spent a few days in Miami and drove to Key West. We purchased the Sun Pass Mini for $4.99 at CVS. I activated it immediately. You can do this online or call the toll free number on the back of the sun pass. I put 15.00 on the sun pass and it was way too much because they also credit your 4.99 back to the sun pass. Definitely decline the toll package with the rental agancy for they will push real hard for you to buy it. Also- the adhesive on the back of the sun pass really sticks to the windshield so be sure to remove it before you return the car. My rental agency made a comment to me about this upon return. Also it takes 24 hours to activate so get it right away. At the end of our trip, they credited my card for 15.00 again. It was essentially free and the toll company wanted 11.99 a day. Have a nice trip!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Key West

Carmelina,

Did you only use the Sin (SP, on purpose!) Pass on the way between Miami and the Keys?

Do remember what the charge was? I'm trying to figure out how much to load. I would only be using it for that one trip.

Edited: 10:32 pm, January 08, 2013