We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car or fly

california
Level Contributor
192 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Car or fly

We are headin over in May and originally thought about driving down from Fort lauderdale, Now that I have been reading for months all the posts on first timers, I am pondering a change to just fly in. We arrive on a monday evening from cancun ( or first part of vacation, isla mujeres) and thought about driving the next day and stay until saturday as we fly out on sunday am to california. I found flights from united for 600.00 for 2, Is it better to drive in the first time or fly in so we have more time to enjoy and have the last few drinks before we return to reality???

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
816 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car or fly

It depends, the drive is beautiful. Do you have to clear customs coming from Mexico, if so is there enough time between flights? Customs in Miami is a nightmare. If you have enough time between flights I would fly in to KW to give yourself more time.

california
Level Contributor
192 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car or fly

We have to go thru customs in fort lauderdale and we arrive after 7pm so we figured on getting a room and either fly or drive down the next morning. I check on flight from united. Not sure what other airlines fly into key west.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
502 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car or fly

The drive down is nice, but considering how much traveling you are doing, I think I would fly. The other option is a one day car rental and drop it in KW. Then fly out of KW home. The drive back up the keys is way less fun!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car or fly

gotta do the drive at least once............trust me on that.....drive down and fly out !

california
Level Contributor
192 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car or fly

So if I drive down who gives a good rate for one day, and do you drop off at airport?

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car or fly

Budget has the beat rates for convertables. Yes, drop off at airport.

NC
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car or fly

For us, it depends mostly on what time you can get a departure flight. If we can't get a departure from EYW between 10:00-2:00 (without driving up the ticket cost), we start looking for one-way rental car deals.

Fly in, drive up to FLL, and leave late afternoon from FLL. This gives you time to enjoy the beautiful drive, with a few stops

PS- Alamo and Enterprise are not at the airport.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car or fly

I use Avis, not the cheapest, but have never had any issues.

Aston, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
923 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car or fly

We fly into FLL and drive both ways. This year Southwest has connections into Key West so may fly both ways. We do enjoy the leisurely drive down with a lunch stop but may change up this year. The drive back is basically the same but you always have the fear hovering overhead that you may hit a traffic snag and miss your flight.

Pelham, Canada
Level Contributor
192 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car or fly

To avoid the stress of delays during the drive back, and our flight out of FLL is 11:30 a.m., we're spending the last night in Lauderdale by the Sea, just a short drive to Fort Lauderdale airport. Infogal, if you've never been to Isla Mujeres before, you're in for one special treat-we love it!

Get answers to your questions about Key West