We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcoming Trip 12/8 -12/12

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whippany, NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Upcoming Trip 12/8 -12/12

Trip coming up fast got my restaurants all locked in. Now need to know weather and attire. Will I pack for swimming. Is it shorts or slacks for dinner at Michaels, Lattitudes, Hot Tin Roof?? Weather on cover page only shows a high of 74< thought it would be hotter??

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upcoming Trip 12/8 -12/12

We will be there at the same time. I will be taking swimming suits. Our last trip during December was perfect. As far as attire, nothing but shorts

, t-shirt, a couple of nice ss button downs and flip flops.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
13,722 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upcoming Trip 12/8 -12/12

Always always always carry a swim suit, no matter where your destination. This is what I was told on one of my first days of work in the travel industry - and it was a solid bit of advice. That being said.

If your hotel has a heated pool - you may be happily swimming.

Nice pair of shorts of acceptable anywhere in KW and the Keys for dinner, even weddings and funerals.

Today the highs are in the high 60's. No clue what it will be 12/8. Could be very chilly or down right hot. Wait until a couple of days out for a better forecast.

Edited: 3:37 pm, November 20, 2012
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
6,847 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upcoming Trip 12/8 -12/12

We'll be there at the same time and I can almost guarantee you I won't be swimming. But I'm a Floridian, I don't like cold water. ;) In addition to shorts, I'll be bringing jeans and a hoodie as well. We were there the same week last year and there were a few chilly nights. Chilly to me, anyway.

key west
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upcoming Trip 12/8 -12/12

I agree with cruisemom as I am a Floridran as well. In fact I was freezing this morning and needed a heavy sweater. If you like it nippy feel free to wear shorts to Donner but I enjoy dressing up, especially if I'm paying major money at an upscale restaurant, no shorts and flip flops for me. If you do want tp dress one night, you won't be out of place.

key west
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upcoming Trip 12/8 -12/12

Sorry for the typos,my fingers are too big for my small blackberry keyboard ;)

Whippany, NJ
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Upcoming Trip 12/8 -12/12

Need to rework restaurant choices. Keep hearing great things about 951 Prime?? Vs Michaels for steak. HTR is closed on 12/11 for employee Xmas party on our actual anniversary. Should I change to Latitudes for 12/11. What about Grunts see alot of talk about it?? Still big concern about about the weather. Also just bought a new BlackBerry Playbook but without my cheaters this took a long time to type. Please excuse any typos.

Edited: 9:29 pm, November 28, 2012
conn
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upcoming Trip 12/8 -12/12

Check out Santiagos Bodega, great Tapas.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
8,254 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upcoming Trip 12/8 -12/12

I prefer prime 951 over Michaels. Have you considered Azur or Flaming Bouy? These are both great local places away from Duval Street with great food.

Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Upcoming Trip 12/8 -12/12

My wife and I really enjoyed the fish taco's at Grunts when we were in KW on our last visit. I would highly recommend the place.

For weather it may get cool for you at nights, so I would bring along long pants and a sweater just in case. As always for Key West pack your swimming suit. I would check the weather the day before your leave and pack accordingly - how much warm weather vs. cool weather clothes.

Edited: 11:35 am, November 29, 2012
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
6,847 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upcoming Trip 12/8 -12/12

I really like Michaels, but I don't eat steak there so can't compare it to the beef at Prime 951, which is very good. I do prefer the atmosphere at Michaels though; I love the outside patio area. Prime is lovely, but it could be a steakhouse anywhere in the world. If you're looking specifically for a steakhouse (with very good food and service), Prime is your place. Because we only get to spend a few weeks in Key West each year, we typically dine at the places that feel more like Key West to us.