We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report with Condo Recommendation

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ponce Inlet, Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
173 reviews
Trip Report with Condo Recommendation

Just returned from a week in Key West for the powerboat races. This was our 3rd trip to KW. On this occasion we opted out of staying in a hotel and rented a condo. It worked out well as we had a full kitchen and grill so that we did not have to eat out every meal! I cannot recommend the Shipyard Condos enough. If we ever go back we are definately staying there again! We rented through: http://beaconman.com/Islandnomade/ We stayed in the Villa Nomade and our friends were in the Villa Soliel. Both were 2 bedroom units. Absolutely spotless and well apportioned. For $1400 total for 2 couples for the week it was a pretty good deal as Duval St was just a quick 5 minute walk ($1200 on non-race/FF weeks). I made it walking from Mallory Square back to the condo in 10 minutes. GREAT location! We also liked that our units were not right on the main street - so it was very quiet. Of the two, I liked Villa Nomade best as it had a really nice garden/deck area off the back.

We had drinks with friends at the Parrot Bay Resort which is a good distance from downtown (you would have to rent a scooter at the very least to get down to Duval St.). I would definately consider staying there. The grounds and pools are simply gorgeous! Friendly staff and seemed very seculded even though it was on the busy state route. If you are familiar - it was where the old Hampton Inn was by the Walgreens and across from the big grocery.

We rented 2 bikes and a scooter for the whole week. We used A&M Rentals. They will drop off to any KW location. We rode the scooter a good deal. We just returned when we needed a free gas fill up. Very convenient. We booked about a month before the trip as we were told that scooters sell out on weekends during the races (coupled with the cruise ships being in!). Overall, would definately use them again!

As always - very hard to return to the "real" world - especially back to the cold north! Thanks to everyone for their posts. It helped plan - once again - a flawless trip. Happy Travels!

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
1 review
1. Re: Trip Report with Condo Recommendation

Looks like we were very close to each other in 102-5

Buster

Ponce Inlet, Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
173 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report with Condo Recommendation

It was our first trip for the boat races. What a great time!

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report with Condo Recommendation

We always enjoy staying in Truman Annex also, glad to hear more good info on Parrot Bay, I've noticed it looks quite inviting.

Thanks for the TR!

Hilton, New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
4. Re: Trip Report with Condo Recommendation

We have a great condo in Truman Annex rented for March!!! We've stayed in the Shipyard 3 times now.....can't be beat for the location and price!! Countin down the days!!!!

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
1 review
5. Re: Trip Report with Condo Recommendation

We've stayed in 3 different units in Ship Yard over probably the last 6 or 7 years and are pretty happy with them. I can't say as much for some people though. The people under us this year showed us their until which had a handle missing from their fridge door, holes in the wall over the double doors from the blinds that were ripped out and just basically dirty silverware that had never been cleaned. They were very unhappy with the Compass Reality and said they would never return. For us, we've been extremely happy and will be back next November.

Buster

6. Re: Trip Report with Condo Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Key West