We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in the Keys to stay the night??

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where in the Keys to stay the night??

We will be visiting the Keys for two nights end of January.

I am planning to stay one night in Key West and another night (before or after) somewhere along the Keys.

So far from reading this forum I know there are Marathon, Islamorada, and Key largo.

Where in the Keys should I stay where there is activity? I am going to spend one day exploring the Keys (but mainly focusing on areas around accommodation) and one day Key West.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,580 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where in the Keys to stay the night??

I'd suggest Marathon. It's a beautiful 1 hour drive from Key West, and a 1 hour drive from the other end of the keys - Key Largo.

Level Contributor
10,210 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where in the Keys to stay the night??

Be sure to book ahead whichever key you decide. One night in Jan can be kind of hard to find. We love Key Largo for snorkeling and fishing. Ck out John Pennekamp Park. There are lots of options for lodging, Bayside Inn, Courtyard Marriott, Key Lime Sailing Club...all walkable to a handful of restaurants, marina with boat ride/trip options from glass bottomed boat, pirate ship, fishing, African Queen canal trip etc....Islamorada is a fun place to stay if you enjoy small shops etc. Ck out the Bass Outdoor World there for a very unique building, awesome view of the Florida Bay and tarpon/shark feeding lagoon. Good food on the water also. Lots of Mom & Pop Old Fla style hotel options. Look on specific TA forum for suggestions.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where in the Keys to stay the night??

I'd spend both nights in KW. You can still do a snorkel at Pennekamp or Bahia HOnda, see the 7 mile bridge, etc. But for 2 nights no sure I would move locations.

4. Re: Where in the Keys to stay the night??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, December 16, 2013